• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Med Bills/Judgement on his cred. rpt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

laura621

NY

I asked this question in another post.

I have medical bills when I was pregnant for prenatal and birth.

My husband and I had no insurance, so on doctors registration sheet I put down self pay. I might have put down my husbands name as responsible. I'm not sure. The bills were coming in his name. The collection letters at first were coming in his name; then both of ours. The judgement is in both our names and on both of our credit reports.

Is he legally responsible for my bills? Does that mean I could have put down my Aunt from Queens as responsible? I know its kind of late now to be worrying about this. The judgement is already on our C/R.
Would a C/A accept a letter explaining this to add on my file?

Do you know if its too late (2 Years) to go to an attorney about this? Would I be opening up a can of worms? So far they restrained our ck. account (2 Years ago). Is our car safe? we're still paying it off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

bigun

Nothing is going to happen until you get the judgment overturned. 2 years is a long time. You'll just have to go to court with the evidence you have and see if a judge thinks New York State law was followed.

It looks like you did put your husband down as responsible for the bill. I'm sure if you said your Aunt was responsible, she would have disputed the validity of the bill the first time she got a statment. If your husband didn't want responsibility for the bill, he should have done just that 2 years ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">