• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my mom got us kicked out AGAIN. How do i switch custody to someone not related to me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Washington state. I have lived with my mom for the past 2 years. We have been kicked out of 6 houses because she doesn't pay the rent. we constantly got the electricity shut off. My dad paid her $800 each month and she has a job, plus gets L&I. She had plenty of money to pay, but she didn't. I now live with a friend in Blaine, my sister moved in with her boyfriend and my brother is living with his friend. I don't even know where my mom is living. How do i get custody temporarily switch to my friend's parent until i can move in with my dad? PLEASE HELP



Why are you at your friend's house instead of with your father? The court is unlikely to give custody of you to your friend's parents, particularly if you intend to turn around and move in with your dad. Why not just move in with him and let him go to court to have custody turned over to him as well? This is a matter for your father to handle, anyway. Contact him immediately.


Tulsa, Oklahoma, area

Dear sms411:

I concur w/morning_angel. Is your father aware of your situation? If so, & he hasn't yet come to rescue you, shame on him. If not, you get in touch with him immediately, okay? Here, in Oklahoma, once a child reaches age 12 (more or less, depending on maturity level as determined by judge), the child can meet w/a family court judge & express their preference to live w/one parent or another.

You might want to get together w/your brother & sister & ALL talk to your father. Your sister moving in w/her boyfriend is a mistake &, unless your dad is some kind of flake, it would be best for your brother to be with his father anyway - so your father can lend the paternal influence in his life that all young men need. Too, you, your sister & brother need some semblance of family life. Incidentally, why did just start living w/your mother two years ago? Where were you before that? With your father? Why did you leave?

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential