• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My mom's longtime partner wanted to add her as beneficiary before he died...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gettup

Arizona, USA

Hello, can someone please help answer the question that I have about my mothers deceased longtime partner's annuity beneficiary? I am so disturbed that a virtual stranger can take the money that really should be going to my mom. She truly is the only one who should receive it. Please hear my story:

My mom's longtime boyfriend of 25 yrs recently passed away. When he became ill, he told my mother he was adding her as a beneficiary to his life insurance annuities and I was present at the time he said this. However, almost immediately after he became ill, he took a sudden turn for the worse, and without warning was basically on his death bed. He was hospitalized and put on all kinds of equipment and was sedated to where there was no further communication with him before he passed. One thing that did take place when he became ill but before he died, was, on the day he told her he was adding her to his policy, he also gave her his atm bank card and pin number and told her to draw out funds as she needed and to put them towards their expenses and he also gave her the key to his work mailbox and instructed her to take care of any loose ends should he become incapacitated. He also designated my mother as the person to make any decisions regarding his medical care and told the hospital staff that my mother was the only person who would be inquiring about his condition and the only person to be notified or updated about his condition, and that there were no other friends or family to be notified of anything pertaining to his condition, just my mother. The hospital had my mom fill out extensive paperwork, which she believes may have been some kind of Medical Power of Attorney for Advance Directives, which essentially was his living will. He didn't have a regular will. They were not married but they were both on the lease for the home they shared and rented together. They did talk about one day getting married, they just never got around to doing it. Her boyfriend had absolutely no family, no children, no co-workers (he was self employed) and really, no friends. Not because he wasn't a nice guy, he just spent all his time with my mom since day one. There were no other people in his life whatsoever. After he passed away my mom did as he instructed her to, and contacted the municipal court where he owed a traffic fine and paid it for him and notified them of his death, then notified his cell phone carrier to discontinue his service. That's all there was to do really. He had no estate, it's really my moms place, but she added him on the lease when she asked him to move in with her. Other than that, he had a vehicle which she donated to charity. She checked his business mail once or twice a week after his death and there was a letter from his life insurance company that arrived a couple of weeks later so she opened it because she thought it may have been regarding her, the beneficiary (or so she thought). However, she was shocked to find someone else named as the beneficiary and not her. She recognized the name of the person as a friend of her boyfriends step brother, but thought it was odd that he was listed as the beneficiary because her boyfriend hadn't spoken to this man in over 5 yrs, and questioned whether or not he himself was even still alive because he was in his mid 70's back then so she wasn't sure if he was still living because he would be in his early 80's by now. This man was best friends with her boyfriends step brother and that was the extent of their relationship. No casual phone calls, no nothing, and my mom is at a loss as to WHY he would've even named this man as beneficiary in the first place, they virtually have no relationship, never really had one, aren't close at all, they aren't even friends really and was especially baffled by the fact that the two of them haven't even spoken in the last 5 years or more. She tried contacting this man, but the phone number she found for him has been disconnected, there are no public records that indicate a current address or phone number for him, and the social security death index does not show him as deceased.

Then, a second letter from the insurance company arrived that stated, "2nd attempt, please contact" The letter, as did the previous one, stated that they had no address or other identifiable information for the beneficiary and that was why they were sending notification to the decedents address and "in care of the estate of Mr... " It stated that annuities were owed and payable to (beneficiary) and listed the amount and for how long they will be paid, along with a list of requirements that the beneficiary must complete and send in along with the claim for the annuities. I realize that if they cannot locate the beneficiary, the insurance check goes to the "decedents estate" but honestly... he didn't have one. What little he owed to the court and the cell phone company, etc.., my mom paid for out of his bank account balance that he gave her his atm card and pin to, so there are no outstanding debts that the insurance check would go to.

The thing is... my mom took care of him everyday of his life since they met... she did everything for him, as he did for her... We sincerely believe he listed this man before he met my mom (they met in their early 40's so its possible) and never realized or dawned on him that this man was the one who would receive payment in the event of his death. Had he given it any thought, we're certain he would've changed that. But until he realized he was dying, is when he realized it wasn't my mother who would receive payment in the event of his death, and voiced this to her upon realizing that but quickly became too ill before he could put my mom on the policy. She is listed as the person who is to make decisions on all of his other affairs, such as his bank account, business mail, misc expenses, and Medical decisions and he is also listed as a lessee on their rental agreement so she can establish that she is in fact the one designated to manage his affairs to some degree. My question is, if they don't ever locate this man listed as beneficiary, (or even if they do) is there anything my mom can do to claim the annuity payments that he verbally expressed to her before he died, were his intentions and therefore, his wishes for her to be the beneficiary and me as a attesting witness that he said as such? The man who is listed on the policy doesn't even know my moms boyfriend very well. They rarely spoke during the entire 25 years my mom and he were together, and was not friends with him, but with his step brother. The step brother has long passed away otherwise, I'm sure he would've listed him before he listed a friend of his (considering he must've done this before meeting my mother) but there was no family left at all that he could've listed and that's why we are led to believe that he only chose this man because he didn't have anyone else to list. His purpose of taking out this policy in the first place was to insure payments to himself later on in life, which had been met. It wasn't a life insurance policy to be paid to any next of kin or anything like that, that was not it's purpose. I think he took out this policy before he ever met my mom, and that is why he listed this friend of his step brothers because he had no one else to list. When he became ill, that is when he must've realized he needed to change the beneficiary or add her as such because he expressed so to her, but less than 2 days later he became incapacitated. She has no way to prove these were his wishes, and I know her boyfriend should've had time to do it before he became ill, but people procrastinate, it doesn't mean it wasn't their desire just because they didn't get it done. Based on his verbal expression of will, and the appointment of my mother to handle all his loose ends once he was hospitalized, and also the fact that the beneficiary cannot be found, along with the fact that the decedent essentially has no estate, other than what my mom already took care of, couldn't there be a way for her to legally claim the annuities? or is there anything she can file with the courts requesting appointment of beneficiary? if she proves everything I have stated, and based on her word with myself as an attesting witness that he expressed he was adding my mom to his policy?

I know to some this may seem like a likely story, but I promise I speak the truth. I just feel sorry for my mom that she has struggled greatly taking care of both her boyfriend and my brother when they both simultaneously broke their legs in separate bicycle and hit and run accidents. My mom never once complained and waited on the two hand and foot and they were both laid up for over 6 months, I just know her boyfriend would never leave his money to a practically a complete stranger over the woman he deeply loved and cared for so much. Especially since he told her he was adding her before he passed away. It breaks my heart to see my mother grieving deeply over her loss, and the added insult to injury is just too much to just accept and to just leave at that. Considering all the circumstances, would a Judge consider overturning such a thing? I know a Judge did this with Anna Nicole Smith when her husband's son contested his will, even thought her husband clearly stated he wanted her to have it. It gives me hope for my mother to think this may be able to be done. Please advise me if I am right or wrong and any advice you may have for her in any way, shape, or form. We both greatly and immensely appreciate your time and effort. Thank you so much, from myself and my mother.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Last edited:

Isis1

This man had twenty five years to add your mother. He didn't.

Your mother may want to consult an attorney. He may have intended to, but the facts are that he didn't.

gettup

This man had twenty five years to add your mother. He didn't.

Your mother may want to consult an attorney. He may have intended to, but the facts are that he didn't.
Yes, I totally agree 100%. I even mentioned that myself, that he had plenty of time to do it before he passed away. But the thing is, her boyfriend didn't think like the rest of us. My mom had to help him a lot. I don't know the word i'm looking for to properly describe his disposition, and I don't want to sound like i'm insulting him, but it's almost as if, he didn't know any better. I don't know what he would've done all these years had he not met my mom... He was a loner, kinda quiet and to himself. He had hammer toes really bad so he was always having a hard time doing things the rest of us do with ease. I don't know what grade he completed in school, but he's not a college graduate, and he was an independent contractor as a janitor. I'm not making excuses for his ignorance, but I believe he was limited in his physical and (somewhat) mental abilities/capacities at a very early age and he was probably instructed or advised by someone back then, perhaps a family member (before they all passed on) to take out such a policy. I don't think he has the capacity to think intelligently and in advance to plan for such things. This is just my opinion, I'm not asking you to agree. But he could easily be under educated and not very bright... Doesn't mean he wasn't cute :)

justalayman

I didn't read your entire post but generally, trying to alter a beneficiary on an insurance policy is very difficult, if not impossible. A policy is a contract and under more strict rules than the general disbursal of an estate, which tends to have some discretionary actions possible.

I know a Judge did this with Anna Nicole Smith when her husband's son contested his will, even thought her husband clearly stated he wanted her to have it.
the last ruling I remember is she lost her claims.

and it was anna nicole smith that challenged the standing will. Her claim was her husband promised to leave her a ton of money but the will showed the opposite by leaving her nothing, if my memory serves me.

a huge difference between that case and your is; hers did not involve insurance policies. It was the will that was contested. If it was just an insurance policy, it would have been decided long ago. The insurance company is bound by law to disburse the money as contracted unless it is ruled invalid for some reason. Simply claiming he intended on putting her on as a bene isn't a valid argument.

gettup

Thank you for your response :)

trying to alter a beneficiary on an insurance policy is very difficult, if not impossible.
well, really what I am inquiring about mainly is that the beneficiary cannot be found. I'm not really trying to alter the beneficiary... I asked if it were possible, but i'm more concerned with the fact that he can't be found and the insurance co sent a letter saying that the policy holder failed to list an address or social security number of the beneficiary and therefore were sending these letters c/o the decedents estate and address. So We know the insurance company cannot even locate him to notify him, and if that turns out to be the case, WHAT will happen to the money? considering the decedent has no estate for the money to go to... would my mom have a chance of collecting it if all attempts to reach the beneficiary are unsuccessful ?

the last ruling I remember is she lost her claims.

and it was anna nicole smith that challenged the standing will. Her claim was her husband promised to leave her a ton of money but the will showed the opposite by leaving her nothing, if my memory serves me.
Nooo, Anna Nichole's hubby actually left her millions! not zero! the son was very upset about it, and contested it in which they did in fact take away her inheritances, but she contested that decision, and a judge overturned the other judges decision and I believe she died during the proceedings and never did get it settled, but I believe whatever she gets/got will go to her daughter.

a huge difference between that case and your is; hers did not involve insurance policies. It was the will that was contested. If it was just an insurance policy, it would have been decided long ago. The insurance company is bound by law to disburse the money as contracted unless it is ruled invalid for some reason. Simply claiming he intended on putting her on as a bene isn't a valid argument.
I understand there is a difference, and obviously they are 2 different things, but you'd think that someone writing out a will and designating a specific person to inherit their money would be just as solid as if they appointed them as a beneficiary on their life ins policy. Do you think that if people's wills are able to be reversed after they have passed, that a life ins beneficiary could also be? I don't see why not, they are both legal documents stating who they want their money to go to after they are dead... just wondered why it's different.

Thanks!

Proserpina

That is NOT correct.

Anna Nicole Smith's late husband did NOT include her in the will - that was the entire point of the court case.

See Marshall v. Marshall.

Though I hate using Wiki as a reference, this IS accurate:

Twelve years prior to his marriage to Smith, J. Howard Marshall II (the deceased) had set up a trust which owned all of his assets and would pass to his son E. Pierce Marshall after his death. Smith had claimed that it was the deceased's intention after marriage to set up a separate trust for her benefit, which would essentially leave her half the appreciation of the assets of the trust during the period of the marriage. Smith further claimed that the son had interfered with the formation of this separate trust. In any event, the deceased neither set up a trust in Smith's favor, nor had he changed the terms of his will to provide for her after his death. However, the deceased did make his existing trust irrevocable soon after his marriage to Smith. As a result, Smith was disinherited. She sued in Texas Probate Court for a share of the estate on several grounds, but her litigation was actively opposed by the son. The primary ground for the son's opposition was that the deceased had an extensive estate plan executed over many decades which expressed his clear wishes.

Not that it's really important here - but I wouldn't want anyone reading to get a false impression.

justalayman

gettup;2714798]Thank you for your response :)

well, really what I am inquiring about mainly is that the beneficiary cannot be found. I'm not really trying to alter the beneficiary... I asked if it were possible, but i'm more concerned with the fact that he can't be found and the insurance co sent a letter saying that the policy holder failed to list an address or social security number of the beneficiary and therefore were sending these letters c/o the decedents estate and address. So We know the insurance company cannot even locate him to notify him, and if that turns out to be the case, WHAT will happen to the money? considering the decedent has no estate for the money to go to... would my mom have a chance of collecting it if all attempts to reach the beneficiary are unsuccessful ?
it will likely escheat to the state in the beneficiaries name. You know all those "find lost money held by the state commercials"? That's where it will go.

Nooo, Anna Nichole's hubby actually left her millions! not zero! the son was very upset about it, and contested it in which they did in fact take away her inheritances, but she contested that decision, and a judge overturned the other judges decision and I believe she died during the proceedings and never did get it settled, but I believe whatever she gets/got will go to her daughter.
No, her husband left her nothing but had promised to leave her money. She sued based on that promise. The last ruling I heard (sometime this year), she lost the case. I understand there is a Supreme Court hearing set for Jan 18, 2011 for some aspect of the case.

I understand there is a difference, and obviously they are 2 different things, but you'd think that someone writing out a will and designating a specific person to inherit their money would be just as solid as if they appointed them as a beneficiary on their life ins policy. Do you think that if people's wills are able to be reversed after they have passed, that a life ins beneficiary could also be? I don't see why not, they are both legal documents stating who they want their money to go to after they are dead... just wondered why it's different.
they are very different things. The insurance is ruled by some very specific laws and not open to the interpretation a will might be. It's when you toss in that insurance company that things get very strict. The insurance company does not want to be liable for making a second payout because they arbitrarily decided to alter the beneficiary.

Betty

There may be a provision in the policy how the proceeds are to be handled
if the bene cannot be located. At the ins. co. I worked for & the cos. we
reinsured with, the proceeds went to the estate of the deceased/insured (not estate of bene).

Your Mother can certainly talk to an attorney though if she wishes & get his/her opinion.

Last edited:

divona2000

...my mothers deceased longtime partner...My mom's longtime boyfriend of 25 yrs recently passed away...They were not married but they were both on the lease for the home they shared and rented together...she added him on the lease when she asked him to move in with her...

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Just wondering...
Have your mother & her partner always lived in Arizona?
Have they ever lived together anywhere else? and if so, have they ever presented themselves as husband and wife?

Betty

Arizona doesn't allow common law marriages. However; if your Mother & her partner were recognized as having a common law marriage in a state that
allows them & then moved to Az., Az. would also consider them as having a common law marriage. If they lived elsewhere, where did they live?

Besides did they refer to themselves being husband & wife, did they file joint
tax returns, use the same last name, or wear wedding rings?

Thanks.

gettup

That is NOT correct.

Anna Nicole Smith's late husband did NOT include her in the will - that was the entire point of the court case.

See Marshall v. Marshall.

Though I hate using Wiki as a reference, this IS accurate:

Not that it's really important here - but I wouldn't want anyone reading to get a false impression.

Wow, my bad! Thank you for providing me with that information, I was wrong and I stand corrected. Thank you for taking the time to look up the information and provide me with it so that I would not be misinformed. I appreciate it :)

it will likely escheat to the state in the beneficiaries name. You know all those "find lost money held by the state commercials"? That's where it will go.
YES! I do know about these sites! as a matter of fact, I actually discovered my own name on missingmoney.com it listed my previous address and it was definitely me, I sent in all the paperwork and claim form, and I am now waiting for them to send me the money. I have NO idea where it is from, but it's got to be something like a utility deposit or maybe a tax return I never received because I had moved and didn't leave a forwarding address. I don't expect it to be too much, but it was exciting to discover I had missing money! Now, if it does end up there, THEN will she be able to claim it from the state dept of revenue? (which is who holds onto it until someone comes forward to claim it and who can prove they are entitled to it) because I believe too that it will probably end up there and then she can submit a claim if she is in fact entitled to.

No, her husband left her nothing but had promised to leave her money. She sued based on that promise. The last ruling I heard (sometime this year), she lost the case. I understand there is a Supreme Court hearing set for Jan 18, 2011 for some aspect of the case.
Yes, I apologize, I do stand corrected. I was misinformed. I assumed since she passed away the court proceedings would be dismissed. Is the baby's father pursuing the case where she left off? Now that she's gone, I would think she wouldn't be entitled to anything, it's not like he was the father of her little girl, so I don't think she should really be awarded anything. I hope that don't sound mean, but really... it would go to her daughter, and her husband had nothing to do with that little girl, she's Larry's responsibility. (Just my 2 cents)

they are very different things. The insurance is ruled by some very specific laws and not open to the interpretation a will might be. It's when you toss in that insurance company that things get very strict. The insurance company does not want to be liable for making a second payout because they arbitrarily decided to alter the beneficiary.
Now that I think about it, it would make sense for things to get strict and/or complicated when an insurance company is involved. I am sure they probably look for any little inconsistency or technicality so that they can deny a payout. Gosh, I'm learning a lot from you guys here! thanks! :)

There may be a provision in the policy how the proceeds are to be handled if the bene cannot be located. At the ins. co. I worked for & the cos. we reinsured with, the proceeds went to the estate of the deceased/insured (not estate of bene).

Your Mother can certainly talk to an attorney though if she wishes & get his/her opinion.
Thank you, I believe that is probably the best thing for her to do :)

Just wondering...
Have your mother & her partner always lived in Arizona?
Have they ever lived together anywhere else? and if so, have they ever presented themselves as husband and wife?
WOW! I apologize, it is actually me who lives in Arizona, not my mom or her late boyfriend. They resided in California the entire time they were together and always have lived in California. Does that change anything?

Arizona doesn't allow common law marriages. However; if your Mother & her partner were recognized as having a common law marriage in a state that allows them & then moved to Az., Az. would also consider them as having a common law marriage. If they lived elsewhere, where did they live?

Besides did they refer to themselves being husband & wife, did they file joint
tax returns, use the same last name, or wear wedding rings?

Thanks.
WOW! I apologize, it is actually me who lives in Arizona, not my mom or her late boyfriend. They resided in California the entire time they were together and always have lived in California. Does that change anything? They refered to eachother as spouses and they wore promise/engagement rings, but never had the chance to get married- for one reason or another... Something would always come up, there was always family emergencies happening, or illnesses, or going out of town on work related business, etc... They were self employed so they filed taxes separately, but they were both listed on the government assisted housing voucher as a couple, which my mom was initially the sole tenant of, but she notified them of him moving in and they processed an application on him and he met the criteria so they approved him to be on it with her as well. One thing i will say, they did not increase the amount of bedrooms she was allowed to have, they will usually grant a bedroom for tenants of the opposite sex, but the bedroom allowance did not increase, and they listed him as her significant other sharing one of the bedrooms (my brother had the other bedroom.) So that definitely proves they were technically living together as husband and wife, although not legally (but not ILLegally lol) do you think that makes a difference?

WOW! Thank you everyone for answering my questions and giving me sound advice, It is greatly appreciated! I know your time is valuable :) Merry Christmas Everybody!!

Betty

California does not allow/recognize common law marriages so she will apparently not be considered his wife (ie a family member).

However, she is certainly free to talk to an attorney.

gettup

California does not allow/recognize common law marriages so she will apparently not be considered his wife (ie a family member).

However, she is certainly free to talk to an attorney.
thank you Betty. So even tho they can't locate the bene, and he has no living family members, they won't allow my mom to claim it even tho she had medical power of attorney?

I know she should just consult a lawyer, but I am trying to gather as much info as I can first so we know what our options are. I appreciate your feedback.

Thank you and Happy Holidays :)

ShyCat

So even tho they can't locate the bene, and he has no living family members, they won't allow my mom to claim it even tho she had medical power of attorney?
Of course not. Medical power of attorney does not bestow beneficiary or inheritance rights.

justalayman

it appears this all really comes down to:

she had an insurance policy. She named a beneficiary. Unless/until she altered that beneficiary, the named beneficiary remains as written.

For all anybody knows, she intended on leaving the bene as written. The proof a person wants to alter a bene is, very simply put; they fill out a change of beneficiary form. The lack of that action is accepted as intent to leave the bene as named.

and with the Anna Nicole Smith thing; her estate can continue suit until all claims are settled. It isn't Larry as Larry (if that is who is pursuing the thing). It would be Larry on behalf of the estate of Anna Nicole Smith.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">