• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My mother is a landlord...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlissaHH

What is the name of your state? Texas

Sorry this is long. I need some help. My mother bought a mobile home and began renting it out last year. She has no prior experience and had what looks like pretty poor guidance though this thing. The person who was helping her create the lease and whatnot is not around so now she has asked me to help since the lease is almost up. She is in over her head for sure, but she is a very kind lady who always puts herself in their shoes rather than worry about protecting herself.
-One line of the lease I had never seen before. It states: "Upon the greater of 30 days notice and any notice required under the Act, the Landlord may terminate this tenancy without cause or reason." Not sure how this may effect any of the issues I am about to address. It also states "Upon the greater of 30 days notice...the landlord may terminate this tenancy if the Tenant has breached any provision of this lease."
-The lease was signed on 2/25/18, and expires on 2/25/19. There is 1 person on the lease (the husband) and my mother was aware of the wife and young children, of course, staying there (but they are not listed on the lease). One of the rules of the lease states that no guests may occupy the property for longer than 1 week without prior written consent of the landlord. My mom said that she found out 2 months ago that 2 additional family members were living there and had been there for months. She verbally told them that it was against the lease and they nodded their head. They are still living there.
-There is considerable damage to the property. Some water damage in the bathroom from either overflowing bathtub or water spilling out while showering. There is a large hole in the wall behind the front door from the door hitting it. There were a few other things that I cannot recall at the moment, but not normal wear and tear. She only learned of these during the last walk through at the beginning of this month. All of these things are listed items in the lease that are subject to security deposit deduction.
-The main issue is that she has been asking them if they would be renewing their lease since November. The wife says, "Oh I've been meaning to ask my husband. We most likely will stay. We will let you know," or "We think so. We will let you know soon." I picked up rent with her for January and asked them again. They told us, "We need to discuss it still. We've been so busy we haven't talked about it." Busy since November? Okay. We waited, we called. Nothing. Yesterday I texted the wife from my phone (I only had her number that she gave us during rent pick up and his cell number on the lease is no longer in service), and I asked "Do you guys plan on staying in the property?" She responded with, "Yes, until the end of next month." I don't even know if a text message constitutes as a form of notice. I wanted to give my mom piece of mind but really wasn't expecting and answer.
-In the lease it states: "If the tenant fails to pay rent and is evicted or Tenant terminates or vacates the premises without giving Landlord 60 days notice, the tenant agrees security deposit will not be refunded.

What do we need to do at this point? I want her to communicate with them formally from here on because she cannot afford to mess it up. Since the lease expires on the 25th and not the 28th like a typical lease, what does she need to do? They absolutely did not give her 60 days notice. The only time they addressed it was in a text message yesterday to me (which is about 37 days from lease expiration) and does not give a date or really any explanation. Does she let the time expire the lease and just expect them to move out? Should she wait until they move out to create a written list of damages with $ amount to fix plus explain to them that they did not give her 60 days notice per the lease? When a lease is expiring, is she, the landlord, obligated to send out a "Since you won't be renewing your lease, be out by the 25th" letter or is that already a given?Between the extra people staying without permission, her grace with late rent every single month, the damage to the place, and not allowing her 60 days notice, she really feels fed up (and beating herself up). Where does she stand legally?

Thanks!!!

AlissaHH

I forgot to ask: Am I reading the language of the lease incorrectly? Do they still need to give 60 days notice if the lease is expiring? Sorry for the ignorance. I, too, am over my head.

adjusterjack

Here's a one paragraph tutorial about being a landlord. There's the legal and there's the practical. As a practical matter you'll never see a dime from these people beyond their security deposit. You can sue them and pursue them, spend money on lawyers and court and it'll all be for naught.

At this point have your mother write a letter telling them that the lease expires Feb 25, that she is not renewing and that they are to be out by Feb 25th.

Forfeitures are not allowed but the security deposit can be applied to damage which is about the best you can hope for. A landlord also cannot discriminate against families with children. Families are not guests.

Once these people are out, I suggest she gets rid of the MH and gets out of the landlord business. It's high risk. If she wants to keep at it I suggest that she get an attorney prepare a proper lease for her.

FarmerJ

Be done with them , do not renew in fact type up one notice for the married couple and make a copy of it for your records and send other copy via confirmed mail delivery and then find out if you can issue Jane Doe and John Doe notices to the other adults ( I cant say for sure about Texas so you have to search on it to find out , but in some places where a landlord doesn't have full names of some of the adults living in their property they can write out jane and john doe notices as well) keep a copy of each notice and staple your confirmed mail delivery receipt to each and in the letters perhaps you should tell them this is their notice to vacate , you will not renew with them & that they must be vacate by 3/ 27 /19 ( since your lease with them required 60 days from them ) reason I suggest going with that date is with mail delivery time for sure they will have just over 60 days of notice if you send it on Monday If they move out wonderful, You can go in after they move out and take pictures and make repairs and you must follow TX deposit laws SO no matter what that lease says if the deposit was consumed by repairing damage to the house then get a letter out sent certified mail to them with in the time lines your states laws require LLs to get it done. These tenants have had ample time to get a renewal done BUT ill bet you 100.00 they don't give a rats behind and don't be surprised if they try to not pay rent thinking they are going to use up deposit funds , Instead If they don't pay then follow your states laws and take them to court for non payment ( why again its likely they don't give a rats behind , think about it , they violated the lease by moving others in ) ALSO tell your mom to stop the dang texting with them, texting is not solid paper trail communication , its much cleaner for record keeping to have it all on real paper. Don't forget your mom has to sign the notices to move out.

Eekamouse

Is this mobile home situated in a park or is it on a piece of property your mother owns? If it's in a mobile home park, your mother is subletting her house and many parks do not allow that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">