• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my mother wants part of my portion of my fathers life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

porcelina

Illinois:

When my father died September 3, 2003, he had 4 life insurance policies. 2 of those policies named my mother sole beneficiary and were specifically meant to pay funeral costs. I knew my father had 2 other life insurance policies through his work because I had seen the paperwork.
Here is the question.. unknown to us, my father named my mom, my sister and I as Primary beneficiaries to the other 2 policies. My mother disagrees with this and says that dad must have made a mistake, and she should get all the money. I called the insurance company and there is no mistake. Dad made the policies out that way many years ago when he started working. My mother wants a portion of my sister and my part of the money. What does anyone make of this? Should I give her part of it or tell her to stop being greedy. She has the 2 houses, the car, the land and dads SS plus his retirement. Please advice. Thanks

P

porcelina

I am always liable and home guru: Thank you so much for saying exactly what I have been thinking, but trying to keep to myself. My mom is being an A$$ about this. I have an 11 year old child to take care of and my mother has hounded me about this insurance since she found out she was not sole beneficiary. Wow, I am so glad I have found this forum. :)

K

knotcops

IAAL,
I've seen you make some pretty blunt posts, but this takes the cake. Good man!!!!:D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

knotcops said:
IAAL,
I've seen you make some pretty blunt posts, but this takes the cake. Good man!!!!:D

My response:

Sometimes, I can be a man of few words.

It's a perfectly "legal" response. Besides, what else could a person say in our writer's situation? There's no legal basis for the mother's demands, and our writer is perfectly within her legal rights to tell her mother to stick it where the sun don't shine.

And besides, I say the same thing to opposing Counsel, and to insurance adjusters, all the time.

IAAL

P

porcelina

I enjoy hearing responses from a man of few words, who tells it like it is!:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">