• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Mothers life insurance "stolen" advice please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

theconfused1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CT

Here is the problem....My Mother died 10 years ago when I was 14, my Father lost custody of us at the same time...and my aunt took over guardianship and the my Mother's property including the money from her life insurance. When I was younger I was told that I had nothing from her...not even a picture album, that she was so poor that they(Aunt/Uncle) were in debt after her funeral expenses. That is where it gets twisted, my aunt collected money from the state for my sister and I and told us that when we married we would get 5,000 that she would save for us. I always thought this odd, that my Mom had cancer for two years prior to her death and would not take out insurance for her children who had no Father to pick up the slack for the future??? After I got married(last month), the woman gave me some stuff for my house(not the money), and when I asked further into the mysterious money she had saved it then came out that yes my Mother had a life insurance plan, which came out with hesitation....and then she said it was for $25,000. You see since I was 16 I was out of there house really struggling with no help, and they would not help me...in MANY ways they were horrible to my sister and my needs. Then to find out that she had lied...on top of that she said," we used the money to build our new house but when I get have the money I will decide when to give it to you." I am calling a lawyer...very sad since this is the last of my family..and this will rip us apart...I am in a place I DO NOT want to be. But what should I do? I feel that I was robbed, and I now this is very illegal for what she has done...but I need some more advice and direction, if anyone knows? I WOULD really appreciate it very much! Thankyou :(

Dandy Don

Are you saying that she should have saved money from what she got from the state for you or are you saying she should have saved the insurance money for you?

Go to the county courthouse probate court and see if there was a probate file opened up for your mother that would show financial information about how her estate assets were divided.

The problem here is that you don't know how the insurance company check was issued (was it issued to your mother's estate or was this money issued in the children's names as beneficiaries and was it supposed to be held in trust by the grandmother until you all reached adulthood?) (or even which insurance company it was) and whether the guardianship papers allowed her to manage financial affairs on you kids' behalf or not. But it does look like you have a case if you can get your attorney to extract all of the details from her or if any type of paper trail is left after 10 years.

I wouldn't believe her promise of "when I get the money I will pay you back"--she is going to die and probably not even mention you in her will and then you will be totally shafted. If she was serious about repaying she would be making small monthly installments to you now until the full amount was paid off.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

It is going to cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars in attorney fees to bring this lawsuit--is it going to be worth it for you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">