• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My neighbor is suing another neighbor after being attacked by their dog, and I'm wondering about some legal advice that the victim was given

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

We actually don't know that.
I agree. I can see some possibility that the owners of the dog could make a court feel sorry for them because they had to accept putting down the beloved family dog...while I can also see that same court slamming them with huge punnies if they were ordered to remove the dog from the area if they did not do so.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
So my question is this: Was that guy correct? Would it really have resulted in the neighbor being awarded a lower amount of money from the lawsuit if the dog was put down, as Animal Control had wanted to do?
I think it rather unlikely. I don't practice in GA, but in the states I am familiar with the decision by the county and the court on putting down the dog would make no difference to the outcome in a personal injury lawsuit. Indeed, the fact that the dog was put down after would not even be admissible in my state in the personal injury case. Perhaps GA has a different rule on that, but it would be unusual.

quincy

I agree. I can see some possibility that the owners of the dog could make a court feel sorry for them because they had to accept putting down the beloved family dog...while I can also see that same court slamming them with huge punnies if they were ordered to remove the dog from the area if they did not do so.
The community views on euthanizing dogs could play a role as could other factors, including the dog's role in its owner's life (e.g., show dog, service dog, etc).

It is impossible to say, with the little we know, why the attorneys believed the dog's euthanasia would make a difference in the amount of damages that might be awarded in the civil action. But if the attorneys recommended that the dog not be euthanized, and the judge agreed with their recommendation, obviously there was some reasoning behind it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">