• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My parents are getting sued, I want to defend them in court.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sylv86

Wow 14 replies, thx for the input guys.

What type of letter was this? A letter from her saying they're going to be sued? From a lawyer? A summons from the court? What, exactly are they being sued for? The return of the money spent on the hair straightening process?

Because they involve small amounts of money, these type of cases are typically handled in Small Claims; folks represent themselves and an attorney is not required. SHE has to prove her hair was damaged by this process.

Gail
It was a summons from court. They are being sued for damage to her hair. I don't know if she'll accept a refund at this point.

You can do nothing, the business is not yours. Also, the person has not caused your parents any damages, they have no grounds to sue either.
I see. I thought her coming in and taking pictures without permission would qualify as an offense of some kind, and I suppose we can't file a claim against her for getting in the way of business either? hmmmmm.

I read over all your posts and I've decided I'll request for an interpreter on court day.

Last edited:

justalayman

I see. I thought her coming in and taking pictures without permission would qualify as an offense of some kind, and I suppose we can't file a claim against her for getting in the way of business either? hmmmmm.
not unless you have some proof that you can quantify an amount of actual damages.

You Are Guilty

I tried and you have to admit, not knowing they would provide translators (btw: who pays for the translator) and as such would not include not speaking English as a disability. I still believe a translator does not remove the disability. Think about this: what if you had somebody from New England on trial and you had somebody from Louisianna translating whatever language was being spoken in a court. While the language may get translated in to English, it is English influenced by the La influence and then trying to translate that to New England English. Hard to have complete communications but I'll accept it.:)

So, since the courts do recognize the consanguinity relationship as justification to allow such a person to represent another if there is a disability, would they allow #1 son to set at the defendents table and confer with mom and dad in an effort to assist them? Obviously not speaking for them but #1 son is going to understand the situation and be able to read inflections by the English that an interpreter may miss due to the unfamiliarity of the interpreter with the defendents?

Simply looking for a way for son to assist mom and dad without acting as representative or hiring an attorney.
Small Claims in an animal unto itself. (Sort of the platypus of the legal world.) Not only are the procedural rules thrown out, many times, so is the substantive law. However, we, the taxpayers, fund the court in almost its entirety (minus the minor filing fees), including interpreters. You may be surprised to learn that the court generally has interpreters available in Spanish, Russian, Chinese and Korean (at least in Manhattan, other boroughs differ slightly). "Weird" language interpreters (i.e., Portuguese, Urdu, French ;)) are also available, but usually take some time - sometimes to the point of having to re-schedule the hearing.

Anyway, the translator's oath is specifically designed to avoid the translator interjecting their own personal thoughts into the process. Obviously, unless the judge speaks the language, they will not know 100% for sure what is being said, so there's some leeway in the process for those not big on following oaths (although I have seen people in the gallery yell out "That's not what he said!" when people try to pull a fast one). Whether the judge will permit the family member to confer at the table without acting as the translator is possible, it's up to the particular judge. (I've seen judge's permit it in higher Courts, so there's a pretty good chance they'll permit it in Small Claims).

My best guess is that if the son asks to translate the court is almost certainly going to let him (unless the court's Chinese translator just happened to be in that courtroom at that exact moment, and even then, why pass up a free translator?) He can then sit at the table with the parents and effectuate his goal that way, and everyone is happy.

Good luck!

justalayman

=You Are Guilty;2105103] (Sort of the platypus of the legal world.)
he platypus of the legal world?? Not an analogy I have heard before.

(although I have seen people in the gallery yell out "That's not what he said!" when people try to pull a fast one).
I would love to see that.

Whether the judge will permit the family member to confer at the table without acting as the translator is possible, it's up to the particular judge. (I've seen judge's permit it in higher Courts, so there's a pretty good chance they'll permit it in Small Claims).

My best guess is that if the son asks to translate the court is almost certainly going to let him (unless the court's Chinese translator just happened to be in that courtroom at that exact moment, and even then, why pass up a free translator?) He can then sit at the table with the parents and effectuate his goal that way, and everyone is happy.
there you go syl86. Some very good advice from one of the best on the forum. (YAG, not me)

Good luck
ditto
-----------

thanks YAG.

j

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">