• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My parents pulled me from school after 4th grade and didn't provide schooling of any kind afterwards.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what category my question fits here, and I have struggled to find any precedence for my case. I'm nearly 43, have lived in Oregon since 2nd grade, and my parents pulled me from school after 4th grade and didn't provide schooling of any kind afterwards. I was not sent to school or receive any state approved education from 5th grade on, and I was essentially hidden from the state on a rural property where I still live. Trying to work in the conventional work force has been very difficult for me, and I also suspect I may have an undiagnosed social anxiety. My parents became separated about 10 years ago when my mom left for another part of Oregon, she has since met an old flame and wants to divorce my elderly father. What she is wanting would likely force the sale of my home. When I confronted her on the fact I depend on her(and my fathers) property, and pointed out that pulling me from school not only destroyed my possibility for education but also prevented me from getting help for my possible disorder, she said it was my choice to not return to school(at 10 years old). This situation has been an issue between me and my folks for several years now, and I am considering getting a psychological evaluation for my possible social anxiety. My question is, do I have a case against my parents? Could I sue them for damaging my life considering an basic education is a fundamental right? Like I said, I can't find a precedent for this subject.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't know what category my question fits here, and I have struggled to find any precedence for my case. I'm nearly 43, have lived in Oregon since 2nd grade, and my parents pulled me from school after 4th grade and didn't provide schooling of any kind afterwards. I was not sent to school or receive any state approved education from 5th grade on, and I was essentially hidden from the state on a rural property where I still live. Trying to work in the conventional work force has been very difficult for me, and I also suspect I may have an undiagnosed social anxiety. My parents became separated about 10 years ago when my mom left for another part of Oregon, she has since met an old flame and wants to divorce my elderly father. What she is wanting would likely force the sale of my home. When I confronted her on the fact I depend on her(and my fathers) property, and pointed out that pulling me from school not only destroyed my possibility for education but also prevented me from getting help for my possible disorder, she said it was my choice to not return to school(at 10 years old). This situation has been an issue between me and my folks for several years now, and I am considering getting a psychological evaluation for my possible social anxiety. My question is, do I have a case against my parents? Could I sue them for damaging my life considering an basic education is a fundamental right? Like I said, I can't find a precedent for this subject.
You're 43...this happened over 3 decades ago. The time has long passed for you to take any legal action (if any were even available).

And you didn't find adult education classes after you turned 18 because...?
Social Anxiety? Ignorance from living behind a locked gate in an isolated rural area? Taught to fear the outside world? Taught to fear the government? I don't expect you to understand, since fewer than one percent of Americans have probably experienced what I did. But I'm not here to prove myself to strangers, or take uneducated criticism.

You're 43...this happened over 3 decades ago. The time has long passed for you to take any legal action (if any were even available).
I see you are not an attorney, do you know of a similar case to mine that was lost? I cannot find anything in extensive searches...........

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My question is, do I have a case against my parents? Could I sue them for damaging my life considering an basic education is a fundamental right? Like I said, I can't find a precedent for this subject.
Unfortunately the time to sue, assuming you had a claim, has long since closed.

Once you turned 18 it was up to you to decide how to live your life, get the education you need, get whatever counseling you might need for the social anxiety, etc. I'm not saying that it would have been easy to do, but there would have been resources available to help you get started. Where you are today is significantly impacted by the choices you made over the years since you turned 18. You cannot pin your current circumstances entirely on your parents. Because of all that, even if the time to sue had not yet passed, your damages would be far too speculative, I think, to give you a good shot at winning.

Unfortunately the time to sue, assuming you had a claim, has long since closed.

Once you turned 18 it was up to you to decide how to live your life, get the education you need, get whatever counseling you might need for the social anxiety, etc. I'm not saying that it would have been easy to do, but there would have been resources available to help you get started. Where you are today is significantly impacted by the choices you made over the years since you turned 18. You cannot pin your current circumstances entirely on your parents. Because of all that, even if the time to sue had not yet passed, your damages would be far too speculative, I think, to give you a good shot at winning.
But I didn't get the basic education that is a right guaranteed by law, put yourself in my shoes, I didn't get the opportunities you did. I think the statutes of limitations might be extended for me.

This is do hard to explain to people who got to go to school, have freinds, and a connection to the outside world. How was I supposed to know what I went through was wrong until it was too late to straighten it out. I'm tired of trying to explain this to people who can't and won't try to understand. This was a waste of time.

Just Blue

This is do hard to explain to people who got to go to school, have freinds, and a connection to the outside world. How was I supposed to know what I went through was wrong until it was too late to straighten it out. I'm tired of trying to explain this to people who can't and won't try to understand. This was a waste of time.
The best thing you can do for yourself now is therapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">