• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My parents pulled me from school after 4th grade and didn't provide schooling of any kind afterwards.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
But I didn't get the basic education that is a right guaranteed by law, put yourself in my shoes, I didn't get the opportunities you did. I think the statutes of limitations might be extended for me.
The statutes of limitations (SOL) may have been extended for you until you reached age 18 (I've not researched Oregon law to determine what the SOL rules were back then). But once you reached age 18, you were in control of things for yourself and you could have filed a lawsuit at that time. You cannot sleep on your rights for decades and then suddenly decide to sue. The fact that the law afforded you the right to get a free primary and secondary education from the school district is distinct from your parents' obligations to you. Yes, one can argue that by keeping you out of school they were negligent and they certainly violated the state law regarding the obligation to have their kid in school. But their failure to keep you in school is no different than any other negligence they might have committed, and certainly doesn't get you an argument for extending the statute of limitations. It is up to you to pursue your rights in a timely manner. I understand that the failure to keep you in school set you up for hardships later on. No one here questions that. However, that hardship by itself doesn't get you an extension for the SOL.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
put yourself in my shoes

The law doesn't magically say something different because we understand your position.

xylene

Write a book about your unique experience. Then you can afford a property of your own and continue living in isolation.

You can easily learn the assertiveness you need by training. Your defeatist attitude is not inevitable. I know ex Amish and Amish who freely pass in the Englisher world.

The best thing you can do for yourself now is therapy.
I need real support! I have a daughter with a 4.0 GPA, and a wife with metastasized breast cancer, this land was promised to me since I was 7, my mother is backing out of a lifelong promise. I don't have time for therapy, my family doesn't have time for therapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">