• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Petty neighbor struck again..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pooljewel

What is the name of your state? NY.
I am the unfortunate person who lives next to the petty person who had his property surveyed because I mowed about 4 to 6 inches over to far. Well, today I put my christmas tree out , roadside for town pickup and it went over the property line and he came over and threw it in my driveway. I have not yet had any verbal altercations with him- what would you guys do? Should I carry a ruler or challenge him for this petty stuff? It is not a case where I am dumping on his property - but maybe this would be good reason to buy a big dog to wander and poop!!:rolleyes:

HomeGuru

pooljewel said:
What is the name of your state? NY.
I am the unfortunate person who lives next to the petty person who had his property surveyed because I mowed about 4 to 6 inches over to far. Well, today I put my christmas tree out , roadside for town pickup and it went over the property line and he came over and threw it in my driveway. I have not yet had any verbal altercations with him- what would you guys do? Should I carry a ruler or challenge him for this petty stuff? It is not a case where I am dumping on his property - but maybe this would be good reason to buy a big dog to wander and poop!!:rolleyes:
**A: it's been almost a year now and you still have not talked to this neighbor?

P

pooljewel

No, I just mind my own business. I do or say nothing to stir him up, since he obviously is a bit haywire. I think that he is trying to intimidate me . I do not feel that I have to worry about a pine needle, blade of grass or a leaf that goes an inch over the "Line".

nextwife

I feel for you. WE have the neighborhood nut across the street. She calls the police on everybody at the drop of a hat. This is a quiet suburban neighborhood, and everyone maintains their home well and is friendly- except her. You pretty much need to ignore them and just throw up your hands. Ours has called the police because:

We were taking photos of the block before our closing so we could send photos to my sister of our new place and she stormed out her door proclaiming it was against the law to take pictures of "other people's homes". It's not. APPRAISERS DO THIS ALL THE TIME.

Landscapers were eating their lunch in their trucks within her view and she "didn't pay taxes to watch that"

Our two year old newly arrived daughter was playing ball with her elderly, hearing impaired grandma at 10 am on a weekend and we were yelling "Get the ball! Hurry!" loud enough for Grandma to hear inside of our yard.

Noise complaint on a neighbor down the block who were having a party. Turned out the music she heard was from the adjacent village's July Fourth community celebration a few blocks down at a Lake Michigan park and the neighbors had no music on at all.

Our dog was inside the house barking at a pair of coyotes just outside the living room window for a few minutes.

The neighbors next to her had their Grandkids over and they were playing "flashlight tag" in the "woods" outside their house and she didn't like that they were laughing and calling to each other.

There are over 100 such complaints against various neighbors, including a noxious weed complaint against the neighbors who have the most awesome gardens on the block (and happen to be gay). Consider yourself lucky you've only had a handful of incidents.

P

pooljewel

Yes he had a survey done. I lost about 6 inches (he owns 6 inches closer at the end of my drive way) He lost on the rest because I own over further then he thought down to the opposite end of the property. Maybe by eight inches. I think he has a bug up his *** because of this. It is a real pain because he is right on top of me at the end of my driveway, makes mowing and putting out the tree etc. very hard.

nextwife

Plant a creeping ground cover there (vinca minor, creeping jenny, pachysandra, lily of the valley) that you don't have to mow. Pulling the shoots out of his side will drive him crazy. Oops, did I say that?

HomeGuru

nextwife said:
Plant a creeping ground cover there (vinca minor, creeping jenny, pachysandra, lily of the valley) that you don't have to mow. Pulling the shoots out of his side will drive him crazy. Oops, did I say that?
**A: would poison ivy work?

MelPurvis

One word...Bamboo.... it makes a nice green border and gives you privacy. Be sure to place a proper barrier (buried on your property) it will migrate viciously in the other direction. It is difficult to stop.

HomeGuru

MelPurvis said:
One word...Bamboo.... it makes a nice green border and gives you privacy. Be sure to place a proper barrier (buried on your property) it will migrate viciously in the other direction. It is difficult to stop.
**A: does bamboo grow in snow and are the roots protected below the frost line?

MelPurvis

Several species handle cold down to about -15. The real problem is once they are established it is hard to control and/or eliminate. I live outside of Philly and there are several people on my block that use it for privacy.

nextwife

A DEEP barrier is needed, even with northern bamboo. Such as sinking a BIG metal planter with the bottom cut out. GardenWeb.com has some forums devoted to growing bamboo in northern zones and containment strategies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">