• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Phone number attached to a closed bank account belonging to a loan defaulter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kris_3_4_2019

Hi,
My uncle lives in Australia. He had a business in USA. He used my address and phone number to be linked to his business bank account.
He would ask me to provide OTP for bank transactions. He is not a loan defaulter in the USA BANK and his USA bank account is closed.
But he dafaulted loan from a bank in India and left for Australia. I came to know about this just recently.

Should I seek any legal help in this case?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Your uncle's bank account, and presumably the business he had in the U.S., are closed and apparently he didn't owe any money to anyone for that business when he closed up shop here. While you evidently helped him with the U.S. bank account, that doesn't really mean much since that alone does not make you liable for any debts he might have had out of the U.S. business. And I'm not seeing anything that suggests you have any connection or responsibility for the loan he had with the Indian bank. So at this point there isn't a need for you to go running to a lawyer over this. If you do get sued, though, then at that point you'll want to see a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">