• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Previous Employer Just Appealed My Benefits.i'm Scared

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eyesfocus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I just got a notice that my previous employer has appealed my benefits. You see, initially it had been denied. The determination was denied I recieved benefits.....and at first I appealed. But, I decided not to fight it because it was a just cause as to why I had been let go. So I withdrew my appeal. And the Redetermination unit said my appeal had been withdrawn. So that should have been that, right?

Well, I just recieved notice that my past employer has filed an appeal. For the past 4 weeks I have recieved benefits....will I be in trouble for receiving those benefits?? Will I have to pay them back??? If I pay back, will there not be any prosecution? I'm so scared..and confused. I don't know what to do. I have an anxiety disorder...this is very disabling.

eyesfocus

Well it's not quite 2 grand.....but I need the money to support me and my dependents. I got an internship offer /unpaid/ for the summer and need money for that..I was going to halt my employment when that start date arrived.

I want to argue the appeal, yes.....but I don't know what I have against them.

csi7

You follow through with the appeal from the employer.
State your case, and answer the questions from the hearing officer.
If you are denied the benefits, you can request a waiver of paying them back.

swalsh411

I see two unrelated issues here.

#1. You say you were let go for "just cause". What do you mean by that? Why were you terminated? Just because your employer had a good reason to fire you doesn't neccessarily mean you will be denied benefits.

#2. This unpaid internship... is it full time? Do you plan on certifying for benefits while you are working at this unpaid internship? I hope not, because you are not eligible for benefits if you are not available for employment.

Beth3

Without knowing why you were terminated, it's not possible to offer an opinion whether or not the State is likely to overturn their initial decision awarding you unemployment benefits.

commentator

What you say makes NO sense. You said, 'I received benefits, and I appealed." What? Why would you appeal the approval of your benefits? That's downright silly. Then you say you were denied. Okay. You were denied. But somehow, you got approved at some point, and you received benefit for four weeks.

If you told the unemployment system that you quit your job to take an internship, or were fired for cause, or whatever, you were given an "initial determination" of your eligibility, after which you began receiving benefits. You received like about 4 weeks, right? and then you what? Received another notice that your claim was denied? Then at that time, your former employer received notice that your claim was approved. They have requested an appeal, right? Have you had an appeals hearing before an officer with both of you present? Why do you say it was a good reason not to give you benefits? If you feel there was not a good reason for you to receive benefits, you can stop certifying for weeks of benefits. That will stop things. Why did you file in the first place. Its not a penalizing situation if you file a claim when you were not discharged for a qualifying reason, or if you left your job voluntarily by your choice, not theirs. They don't do anything mean to you for filing. You may be determined to be overpaid for the weeks you were paid, but that's not the end of the world, for sure.

In this case, I'm totally confused about what you did, they did, anybody did. If your benefits are denied because it is determined that you are not eligible, then yes, the state system would sort of like for you to pay back that four weeks. But they will give you notice of the overpayment, you can request a waiver of the overpayment, and it can be deferred until you file for unemployment again. It could possibly be dropped. Why are you scared?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">