• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Rights Acorrding to Hipaa Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?NY
Sorry I think there was an error that erased my first post-

I was wondering if according to Hipaa, do I have the right to ask one Doctor to disclose Only the info I choose to another Health care Provider?

Providing of course- this has nothing to do with illegal stuff, narcotics, I'm not dangerous lol, insurance fraud/scams or anything else like that.

I'm little uncomfortable telling my exact health story online, but feel free to ask anything else you think is pertinent.

Thanks

Last edited:

ecmst12

You can ask whatever you'd like, but your doctor can disclose anything to your other doctors that he feels is necessary for your treatment. It is ALWAYS permissible to disclose healthcare information for the purposes of treating a patient.

And the scarecrow said: If I only had a brain... LOL

You can ask whatever you'd like, but your doctor can disclose anything to your other doctors that he feels is necessary for your treatment. It is ALWAYS permissible to disclose healthcare information for the purposes of treating a patient.
I'm a little thickheaded so I want see if I really understand what you are saying.

Do you mean:
Dr. #1 can basically say anything at anytime to Dr. #2? OR

Do you mean Dr. #1 can superseded everything only when it's illegal or life threatening for the patient and tell anyone?

(it's not a life or death kind of thing for me)

Thanks for your time

I'm a little thickheaded so I want see if I really understand what you are saying.

Do you mean:
Dr. #1 can basically say anything at anytime to Dr. #2? OR

Do you mean Dr. #1 can superseded everything only when it's illegal or life threatening for the patient and tell anyone?

(it's not a life or death kind of thing for me)

Thanks for your time
I haven't read the totality of HIPPA, but yes, Dr #1 can say anything to Dr#2.

Last edited:

ecmst12

It does not have to be a life-threatening need. D1 can discuss anything about your condition with D2, for the purposes of your treatment - whether the treatment is for a minor illness or a major one. No doctor can discuss your condition with "anyone" such as your family or a stranger on the bus without your permission, but he/she can discuss it with another healthcare professional in order for one or the other to be better able to treat you, without needing your permission. A doctor can even discuss your condition with another doctor that's NOT treating you, for the purposes of being better able to treat you, however in that situation they should not provide any unnecessary identifying information (doc can ask his colleagues what they think of your situation without telling them who he's talking about).

swalsh411

Even if you had the right to (which you don't) what is your reason for not wanting doctors treating you to have all the information? You're not a doctor yourself, so you are not qualified to say what is relevant and what is not.

justalayman

from the HHS

Permitted Uses and Disclosures

Permitted Uses and Disclosures. A covered entity is permitted, but not required, to use and disclose protected health information, without an individual’s authorization, for the following purposes or situations: (1) To the Individual (unless required for access or accounting of disclosures); (2) Treatment, Payment, and Health Care Operations; (3) Opportunity to Agree or Object; (4) Incident to an otherwise permitted use and disclosure; (5) Public Interest and Benefit Activities; and (6) Limited Data Set for the purposes of research, public health or health care operations.18 Covered entities may rely on professional ethics and best judgments in deciding which of these permissive uses and disclosures to make.

(2) Treatment, Payment, Health Care Operations. A covered entity may use and disclose protected health information for its own treatment, payment, and health care operations activities.19 A covered entity also may disclose protected health information for the treatment activities of any health care provider, the payment activities of another covered entity and of any health care provider, or the health care operations of another covered entity involving either quality or competency assurance activities or fraud and abuse detection and compliance activities, if both covered entities have or had a relationship with the individual and the protected health information pertains to the relationship. See additional guidance on Treatment, Payment, & Health Care Operations.

Treatment is the provision, coordination, or management of health care and related services for an individual by one or more health care providers, including consultation between providers regarding a patient and referral of a patient by one provider to another
sounds like they can disclose any information required for whatever treatment you are seeking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">