• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights as a building lease holder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NancyDrew28

What is the name of your state?Texas

I leased a space for my business about a year ago. I have this landlord who likes to twist my lease agreement to her favor. (Meaning she interprets it as she wants) There are things she said she was going to do to my space that still to this date have not been done. Electrical stuff. I've had to come out of my pocket in the meantime because she has not done it. BUT she expects me to be on it when she gets in my face over things. First question: Am I as the renter responsible for bringing a lease space up to code by the city? Also can she charge me back for work she had done in my space without my permission? 2. She was suppose to move my sub meter so that I could pick my electric provider. This never happened. She slaps me with an electric bill 10 months later and tells I have to pay it. I asked her why my sub meter was never moved and she said that she found out it would be too expensive to rewire the place so she took it upon herself (without notifying me) That she was going to allocate the bill by dividing it between the tennants and accessing tax. I'm only in my space about five hours out of the week and I don't begin running my business until the evening. 3. Can you lease a space "As is" I know you can BUY something as is but I don't know about leasing it. Reason being there was a AC unit in my space when I moved in. She told me I was responsible for it. Ok so the maintenenace is my responsibility. Well the unit turned out to be like a hundred years old. We had a huge storm a couple months back and the entire unit just fell apart. She told me I had to BUY a new AC for my unit because I am responsible for it. I think this is completely ludicrious! Why do I have to BUY a unit when a storm is what destroyed it! If I'm buying it can I take it home when I move out? She even tried to OVER charge me for it by saying she was getting me a good deal and that I only had to pay for half the unit. I found out from the supplier that she lied and the unit did not cost as much as she said. It appeared like she wanted me to pay for part of the unit she had in her space. She even had the NERVE to charge me TAX!!!! I am at my wits end. I still have not received my Occupancy permit because we are in huge debate on who is paying for what. My 180 days is pretty much up. Can someone please help me out with this headache. Am I going to need to get a lawyer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">