• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nktget

What is the name of your state? california, i want to know if i can have a hand gun on my boat (32ft) for my own protection, i have 1 felony arrest, drug possesion, never went to prison, 3yr probation, now thats over with this was 8yrs ago? no arrests since and can i have my records expunged to a lesser charge?

JETX

You are a felon and cannot have a gun. If you are stopped and found with a weapon (even on a boat), you could be charged.

"12021. (a) (1) Any person who has been convicted of a felony under the laws of the United States, of the State of California, or any other state, government, or country, or of an offense enumerated in subdivision (a), (b), or (d) of Section 12001.6, or who is addicted to the use of any narcotic drug, who owns or has in his or her possession or under his or her custody or control any firearm is guilty of a felony."
Source: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/pen/12020-12040.html

C

CombatTN88

nktget said:
What is the name of your state? california, i want to know if i can have a hand gun on my boat (32ft) for my own protection, i have 1 felony arrest, drug possesion, never went to prison, 3yr probation, now thats over with this was 8yrs ago? no arrests since and can i have my records expunged to a lesser charge?
No way. the CONVICTED FELON is branded as felon for life. You can't get it reduced to lesser sentence if you were CONVICTED OF FELONY.

S

shantrbl

nktget,

if you didnt do any prison time and if you finished your probation without any violations you are eligible for expungement. go to the court where you were sentenced and ask the clerk for an expungement aplication, take it to the public defenders office and ask them to help you fill it out. It will cost you about 60 or 70 bucks to file it. Whether you can own a firearm after the expungement of a felony is something im not sure of. I know some of your rights are restored, but you can ask the public defender that helps you out with your aplication, they might be able to answer that for you. Untill then I would suggest you not keep a firearm on your boat or anywhere else, if you are caught you will probably, if not definately, go to jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">