• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my roommate did not pay his half of rent and i am afraid to tell my landlord we are 3

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jdm423

What is the name of your state? new york My husband and i and are 2 year old son share house with another guy he hasnt paid electric bills in 4 months and we did not get his half of rent and we are 3 days late. The lease is up dec 1 and now we definately cant renew . I am afraid to call landlord and tell her we have our half only cause they dont accept partial payments. thank you Jackie

R

reddenbakker

It doesnt matter whats in the lease the late fees for New York state by law cannot be charged until the 6th of the month. And its only a 5% maximum for each month.

You are probably right, you may not get a renewal if you dont pay the rent in full.

Last edited:
J

jdm423

my roommate came home at 4 and had an excuse for no rent

my roommate came home 4 am and an excuse that he didnt have the rent yet my landlord will probably be calling for rent today what do i tell them. should the guilt or burden be on us or just the irresposible individual. Thank you. Jackie
reddenbakker said:
It doesnt matter whats in the lease the late fees for New York state by law cannot be charged until the 6th of the month. And its only a 5% maximum for each month.

You are probably right, you may not get a renewal if you dont pay the rent in full.
:eek:

R

reddenbakker

who's name(s) is on the lease?

if its justs you and hubby then you both are responsible for all the rent....if the roomates name is also on the lease then the landlord can start evcition proceedings in court against all 3 of you after she gives you a 5 day notice to pay.

Last edited:
J

jdm423

he refuses to pay now

my roommate said considering my landlord said that if he doesnt pay she will throw him out he refuses to pay now but she didnt accept our rent money either what is going to happen now

R

reddenbakker

that is the first step in NY is for the landlord to refuse partial rent then they can start the eviction proceddings in court....

Best advice is to scrape up the money and pay his share of the rent, so you wont be evicted and it will be hard to rent anywhere else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">