• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My roommate refuses to leave the apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Linden, nj. I am currently leasing an apartment but I decided to cut my lease. I gave my roommate 3 month noticed to find another apartment. I even allowed him to live in for free January 2020. He is now refusing to leave the apartment. He says that he is willing to pay February's rent but I'm afraid he won't. I am writing a note to have it sign by him in which he agrees to pay his part of the rent. What else can I do? I want to move out but he is holding me back.

Thank you,
Flor

adjusterjack

No this person is not on the lease. I am the only person. He used to pay me month to month rent.
Then you are his landlord and he is your tenant (not your roommate).

I gave my roommate 3 month noticed to find another apartment. We exchanged text messages and I even put it on an email letting him know.
Well, you only needed to give him one month notice per 2A:18-56b:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2015/title-2a/section-2a-18-56/

But since you gave him three months, you're stuck with that. If he's not out by the deadline date, which I assume to be then end of January, you'll have to file for eviction through the courts.

Good luck with that in NJ.

Lesson for the future: Never do roommates. They often turn into nightmares.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm putting a certified letter today in the mail. Nj laws are terrible. Unfortunately I cannot evict him.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I went to see an attorney and I was told that in NJ only the owner of the property can evict a tenant. I tried to file an eviction form and I had no luck.
That's not exactly true. Your landlord will need to be involved in the process, but it's more of a joint venture.

Unfortunately my landlord is trying to stay out of the situation. I even gave my landlord permission to evict me because I am done and over dealing with this situation with my roommate, who is not even on the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">