• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mlcampbell2

Iowa... I want to move out of my place, because of harrassments from my roommate. I found a place, and told her that if her and the friend of hers that wants to move in, give me $300, then I would be out by the middle of the month. They said they would, then we talked to the landlord. The next day, I got a letter from them, saying that they were not going to give me any money, and if I wanted to move out, I would still have to pay rent until the other girl moves in which could be in 2 months. Can I find my own replacement, and have them give me $300? I want to get my name taken off of the lease, but I can't do that with out going to court, can I? Should I just turn her in for harrassment? I have all the harrassing voicemails that she left me on my phone.

JETX

Obviously, you have a problem..... you have entered into a contract with another party and now wish to alter or breach that contract. Simply, the contract cannot be altered unilaterally (without permission of ALL parties, including the landlord).

Your options:
1) Breach your lease and realize that you could be held liable for all reasonable rent (damage) incurred by the landlord and/or roommate due to your breach.
2) Find a suitable 'replacement' roommmate and get a written release from the current roommate and the landlord.

Simply, the landlord is not responsible for your choice of roommmates, and the roommate counted on your tenancy to help pay the total rent.

M

mlcampbell2

The reason I want to move out is because she is harrassing me. SHe kept threating to kick me out for stupid things like for not coming home everynight, or for reading the lease that has both of our names on it, or something like that. She told me basically that she wanted me out, but that she also wanted me to keep paying rent untill her friend moves in. The money I want is for the $200 deposit I put in that I will miss out on, and $100 for the half of the months rent that I paid. I need to do something now, because no one, not even my boyfriend will come to the apartment. She took all of my belongings that were in the living room, except my tables, and put them in my room,, because I only come home at night when she is asleep, or when she is not there. Our LL already has be talked to by both of us when I decided to move out, and the LL said that it was okay for me to sublease. My question is if I can find someone who is willing to give me money to move in if my roomomates frined will not move in for 2 months of so?

Last edited:

JETX

"My question is if I can find someone who is willing to give me money to move in if my roomomates frined will not move in for 2 months of so?"
Not really a question, but I assume you mean something like "Can I find a temporary roommate to move in until the 'permanent' roommate moves in??"
If correct, the answer is, not unless ALL parties agree to accept her. That means the current roommate and the landlord. The problem is, you entered the contract (lease) and cannot just 'alter' it without approval. Simply, there is no simple answer to your problem. You will either have to tolerate the inconvenience of your roommate until the 'newbie' moves in (and releases you), or you will have to take the financial hit of paying rent for a place where you no longer live. I would suggest that you get something in writing from your current roommate stipulating that she will not hold you responsible for any rent after __/__/02, (the date the 'replacement' is expected to move in). Get this release NOW in case the 'newbie' wises up and changes her mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">