• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My School says I'm required to take the practice ACT. Am I?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIV

https://edu.wyoming.gov/educators/state-assessment/act/
Except for students with significant cognitive disabilities who participate in alternate assessments per their IEPs, all high school students are expected to participate in the ACT Suite. ACT WorkKeys will continue to be provided as an option for interested juniors (and seniors), but it cannot be substituted for ACT participation.
I understand practice ACT is not the same as the ACT Suite. But, what result are you hoping for? If the school requires the practice ACT, what is their penalty if you don't do it? Regardless of the legality when all the specific facts of the situation are known, you will have three choices; take it, don't take it and suffer the penalty, or don't take it and fight the penalty.

Are your parents really going to pony up the money to litigate the issue?

ceaton2410

They never told me it was required.

They didn't tell me until afterwards it was required. It's quarter finals week and so I took the time to study for finals. They want me to go in on a Saturday and retake it. I was just wondering if their was any legal basis for me fighting this. I already took the real ACT, I don't see why I should be subjected to taking a practice one. My parents definitely won't fight this, I just need advice on what I could possibly say that would give them reason to look the other way.

Last edited:

NIV

They didn't tell me until afterwards it was required. It's quarter finals week and so I took the time to study for finals. They want me to go in on a Saturday and retake it. I was just wondering if their was any legal basis for me fighting this. I already took the real ACT, I don't see why I should be subjected to taking a practice one. My parents definitely won't fight this, I just need advice on what I could possibly say that would give them reason to look the other way.
I agree with you. But, other than making your case, there is no set of words that will force them to change the requirement.

If you didn't do it, what would happen?

ceaton2410

Penalty.

Not sure, but I'm guessing I would get either out of school suspension or in school suspension. Also I'm in the top 3 in my class, so I would hope they wouldn't take it to hard on me.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not sure, but I'm guessing I would get either out of school suspension or in school suspension. Also I'm in the top 3 in my class, so I would hope they wouldn't take it to hard on me.
You are not special. It is Wednesday. Ask them tomorrow what the penalty is. Why don't you want to take the ACT? It is not a test for which you can study.

ceaton2410

It's not the ACT.

It's not even the ACT. It's a practice ACT. I've already taken the real ACT so taking this practice one is a complete waste of my time. They want me to come in on a Saturday and take it. Taking it is going to be a waste of everyone's time. Just wondering if their is any legal grounds for refusing to take it seeing as how I've already taken the real thing.

LdiJ

It's not even the ACT. It's a practice ACT. I've already taken the real ACT so taking this practice one is a complete waste of my time. They want me to come in on a Saturday and take it. Taking it is going to be a waste of everyone's time. Just wondering if their is any legal grounds for refusing to take it seeing as how I've already taken the real thing.
Who specifically, is "they" and have you asked your parents to try going over the head of "they". It does seem ridiculous that they are trying to make you take the practice ACT when you have already taken the real ACT.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As you mature in this world you will often come across situations for which you have to weigh the costs vs benefits. In your situation, it seems that you are only concerned about losing out on a few hours on a Saturday. You've made no mention of sports being impacted or employment being impacted - just that it's going to take a relatively small chunk out of your life as a whole. My advice to you is to show up for the test and take it. What's it going to hurt? On the other hand, it's going to save you a bunch of headaches...right or not.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Top three in the class and can't spell the name of the state in which you reside. That's depressing.

LdiJ

As you mature in this world you will often come across situations for which you have to weigh the costs vs benefits. In your situation, it seems that you are only concerned about losing out on a few hours on a Saturday. You've made no mention of sports being impacted or employment being impacted - just that it's going to take a relatively small chunk out of your life as a whole. My advice to you is to show up for the test and take it. What's it going to hurt? On the other hand, it's going to save you a bunch of headaches...right or not.
Its not just time, these things do cost money as well.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And if you're going to edit for grammar? Try to do so properly...

Mass_Shyster

Top three doesn't mean much if you are in a class of three.

I once heard a story about a kid taking the SATs. He knew he would do crappy, so instead of taking the test, he filled in the bubbles in the shape of hockey sticks. He scored over 700. His advisor (who didn't know about the hockey sticks) wanted him to take it again, but he declined, knowing he's never pull that off again.

So if you're really opposed to taking this test, just show up, answer C for every question, and leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">