• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My sister's revenge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shey75

What is the name of your state? My state is North Carolina. My sister is on a vengeance to pay me back because my nieces was removed from her custody. This has been going on for little over a year now. My youngest niece had a severe injury in the hospital two days after birth. And because of the injury Child Protective Services(CPS) got involved. My sister also have mental illness, which she feels she do not need medication for her mental illness. The hospital would not let her leave with my niece alone, she was involuntary committed for a day to get an assessment done by a psychiatrist. My sister appointed me as care taker for my nieces during her assessment. And CPS wanted family members to supervise my sister for 6 weeks once she got home with her new born. The family and i all took turns switching out daily going over to my sister's home monitoring and helping her with my niece. During that time we all witnessed her irrational behaviors. My sister broke the agreement and my nieces were removed. Which lead to CPS case and i am a witness against her. My sister has gone as far as taking out false criminal charges on me and made up all kinds of lies on me and my family. Due to the false charges it's showing on my record and causing an issue with me getting a job. I'd like to know what more can i do?

quincy

Falsely accusing someone of a crime is considered defamation per se. Harm to a reputation is presumed.

However, if you were charged with a crime, the police must have found something in your sister's report to support the charge.

What crime were you charged with and have you been to court on this charge?

Here is a link to information on North Carolina's defamation law, from the Digital Media Law Project: http://dmlp.org/legal-guide/north-carolina-defamation-law

Defamation actions are pursued as a way to combat falsehoods and to collect from one's defamer monetary compensation for the harm caused to a reputation by false statements that were made. If your sister has no money and no assets, however, filing a defamation suit against her may not be your best course of action - although you can discuss this with an attorney in your area who is well versed in defamation law.

Last edited:

shey75

She went to the magistrates and told them a bogus story that i was out to kill her and communicating threats. Yes we have been to court but seems it keeps getting continued. She's telling family members that she trying to set me up to get me away from my children. And since the charges she constantly been coming by my house. I had to get her banned from my apartment complex. And the police was called because she keep coming to were i live. She cursed out my apartment manager because she feels no one can not make her do anything. She also continued to text me until i blocked her. My sister is out to get me for being a witness in her CPS case. And she doing all she can to get back at me.

quincy

She went to the magistrates and told them a bogus story that i was out to kill her and communicating threats. Yes we have been to court but seems it keeps getting continued. She's telling family members that she trying to set me up to get me away from my children. And since the charges she constantly been coming by my house. I had to get her banned from my apartment complex. And the police was called because she keep coming to were i live. She cursed out my apartment manager because she feels no one can not make her do anything. She also continued to text me until i blocked her. My sister is out to get me for being a witness in her CPS case. And she doing all she can to get back at me.
You might consider having an attorney send your sister a cease and desist letter, advising her that legal action against her is being considered and may be pursued if she doesn't knock it off.

Unfortunately, when you are dealing with a mentally unstable person, attempts to stabilize their behavior with legal threats often will not work. But you can discuss options with an attorney in your area.

Good luck.

commentator

I am not at all sure that these charges are showing up on your employment records and keeping you from getting jobs yet. How many jobs have you applied for and feel you have been turned down for because of these charges? Have you answered any questions related to your criminal record as yes though you have not been convicted? When you get an attorney, the one who is going to write this cease and desist letter (you might consider legal services in your area to help you with this) be sure and ask them how you need to answer questions about your background,etc. when applying for job.

Crazy people will gladly make you their "life's work" as long as you will keep giving them intermittent reinforcement. That means giving her any attention, occasional attention, every now and then you two get to get into it. Keep her blocked, break off all communication, do not check on her, go around her, you say she is prohibited from coming around your apartment complex, do everything you can to get yourself away from the situation. Being bored with no one fighting back at her is the best possible place for you to get her, as this will produce the necessity of her finding a new target. Minds like this seek enemies to fight. Read up about stalking on the internet, use everything you can to keep yourself and your children and the rest of your family safe from and away from this person.

shey75

I am not at all sure that these charges are showing up on your employment records and keeping you from getting jobs yet. How many jobs have you applied for and feel you have been turned down for because of these charges? Have you answered any questions related to your criminal record as yes though you have not been convicted? When you get an attorney, the one who is going to write this cease and desist letter (you might consider legal services in your area to help you with this) be sure and ask them how you need to answer questions about your background,etc. when applying for job.

Crazy people will gladly make you their "life's work" as long as you will keep giving them intermittent reinforcement. That means giving her any attention, occasional attention, every now and then you two get to get into it. Keep her blocked, break off all communication, do not check on her, go around her, you say she is prohibited from coming around your apartment complex, do everything you can to get yourself away from the situation. Being bored with no one fighting back at her is the best possible place for you to get her, as this will produce the necessity of her finding a new target. Minds like this seek enemies to fight. Read up about stalking on the internet, use everything you can to keep yourself and your children and the rest of your family safe from and away from this person.
The charges are showing up on my criminal record. When a employer do a back ground check its showing communicating threats. Which i have been turn down employment. Because the employer did't want to hire me because of the charge. And you are right my sister has made me a priority. I have distance myself and family from her, but at one point she was coming by my house constantly. I had to get her banned from where i live. I have avoided fighting back with her but she continues to spread lies and seeking ways to get back at me.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you getting called for interviews and then not getting the job, or are you not getting called for interviews?

I'm asking for a reason.

shey75

The last one i was contacted for interview. I did my paperwork and everything. Everything was good set up my orentation date and all. But once the background check was in and because of the charge they did't want to be in a working relationship with me

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is that what they told you? Or is that what you're assuming? (asking, not accusing)

With respect to any jobs where you are not called for an interview, it's about a 100% certainty that this charge has nothing to do with it. Despite what far too many people believe, employers do not conduct background checks on applicants until after they have completed their interviews and decided on their top candidate.

shey75

Yes that is what they told me. They also sent me a letter saying they will not enter into a working relationship with me with that charge showing on my criminal record. i am not sure what employers you are referring to, but this employer turned me down after i had interview, paperwork completed, and orientation date set up. And once my back ground check came back the employer did not want a working relationship with me, due to the false charges done by my sister.

PayrollHRGuy

The confusion comes from the fact that you said you were being turned down for jobs. But it seems you were only turned down for one.

xylene

It's quite possible this issue with the charges won't go away until the case is resolved. This could take some time.

Try to find a smaller employer. Many employers do not do background checks.

shey75

Sorry you confused, or maybe you misread. In my post it clearly states,"Due to the false charges it's showing on my record and causing an issue with me getting a job." I didn't say i anything about "jobs". I simply spoke on the last employer that turned me down for employment. And to help with the confusion the charges are causing issues with me getting work, with more than one employer. However, i came on here seeking advice on what more i can do about my sister's malicious behaviors to get back at me. And how is it possible she can make up these false charges to get her way with trying to get back at me because i was subpoena by CPS to testify in her case against her. It's not right.

shey75

It's quite possible this issue with the charges won't go away until the case is resolved. This could take some time.

Try to find a smaller employer. Many employers do not do background checks.
Small employer? Every employer i apply, do background checks. Do you know of any employers that do not back ground check were i can make decent money? I have kids of my own. Its time for them to get back to school and the holidays are approaching quicker than ever. My sister create these situation whenever she get in one of her episodes. This time she has targeted me and my kids. Because i am a witness in her case. And thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">