• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son charged with harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Son charged with harassment 2nd degree for getting into a fight with an 18 year-old, he is 20. The kid had some teeth knocked out they were all under-age and drinking. The judge says he needs an attorney. Do I have to pay for one since he has no job or is there a way around it?



I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Check for your state and look under criminal procedure, criminal code and/or penal code to see at what level your state gives the defendant the right to a court appointed attorney if he/she is indigent.



He's an adult. You are not liable for his debts or legal fees. He should qualify for a public defender.

This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.


I should have mentioned it's NY state and the court referred him to a law firm that needs to know how much I make in case he's under 21. Isn't it he who needs the lawyer or is he totally my responsibility until he's 21? I'm not trying to be a hardass but this is not the first time and I'm tired of paying for someone who won't help themself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential