• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Son made a bad Choice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

knorris

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Arkansas.
Here's the details, then my Question.
This past Friday night I found out that my 17 y/o son is not using the common sense I thought he had. He was at his dad's house in a small rural area and decided about midnight to barrow his buddys truck and take a freind home, my son has his D.L but because he hasn't had it too long he is suppose to only drive with an adult which he wasn't. a police officer past him and turned around and attempted to stop him and instead of stopping my son turns down a dirt road and takes off. dumb I know and I have not stopped reminding him of just how stupid this was to do and I also I thought I had raised him to do whats right and to respect the law. after a short pursuit they got my son to stop and he claims that he didn't know that it was him they were trying to pull over. I don't buy it either. of course he was tickited for fleeing, reckless driving and the d.l restriction and the truck he was driving also was impouded and the officer allowed my son to use his cell phone to call for a ride. so he not wanting to get in trouble with me or his dad calls another buddy and is picked up and given a ride back to his dads. now my question is this. sense my son is 17 and still a minor shouldn't the officer had notified either myself or his father of what had happened and had one of us pick up my son. I know how stupid this was for my son to do and yes I have rasied him to know better and if he had been home at my house I would have known where he was at midnight but he was at his dad's and that awhole other story so I am not looking for rude responses that tell me I should raise my child better and I am not trying to condem a police officer, I am just curious as to the law regaurding wether or not myself or my sons father should have been the one to have picked him up from this situation. Thanks for your time. Kathie

Rochelle

I can't answer for how they do things where you are, all I can tell you is how we handle that here. He would not have been allowed to call anyone....WE would have placed that call for him. He would not have been released into the care of anyone other than a responsible adult. Personally, I'd have given him a ride to his dad's or your house and made sure that one or the other of you knew where, what and when before I left.

K

knorris

Thank Rochelle

Thats what I thought should have been done, Just when I think I have done a good job at teaching him right from wrong and that I had taught him that if you have an encounter with the police face the music and don't ever try to outwit an officer. he goes and proves me all wrong haha. and the fact that he thought that he had gotten away with something really upsets me had it not been for his dad being cousins with the sheriff I am not sure how long it would have taken my son to fess up to what he had done. guess its back to the rules of life 101. :)

Rochelle

All you can do with your kids is the best you can do. Then you have to trust them to do the right thing.

My daughter got her first speeding ticket. She called me all upset and saying it couldn't be, because the cop was sitting at a 4 way stop to her right. There was NO WAY he could have tagged her speeding. Well, after she vented, I asked her if she was speeding. Well, she said, maybe a little. A little? I ask. How much is a little? There's no such thing as speeding "a little".

I explained to her that yes, an officer can tag no matter if you're in front, to the side or behind him. I told her that the radar can be used from any angle. And she got rightfully tagged. So she'll pay that ticket and hopefully learn a lesson.

I can't tell you the lectures she received when she got her car. She knew better. You don't sound like a parent who lets her child run wild. But experience is a powerful teacher.

K

knorris

Rochelle

Thanks for the reply, I know once they get '' a mind of their own '' then were pretty much left to see what happens. and just pray that what we have taught them has gotten through. he is my oldest so everyday will bring new adventure. ha ha:D

K

knorris

ROCHELLE

Just wanted to update you . we went to court yesturday and everything went fine. the judge dropped the fleeing charge. and the fine on the other charges is only $ 250.00 not bad at all. he gave by son a good talking to and humbled him a little which I feel will do more good than anything I can say to him. as part of his punishment here at home we are having him donate his time to the nursing home for the next 8 weekends. it will be good for him. Kathie :D

Rochelle

Well, another lesson learned the hard way. I think it's safe to say he won't do that again.

Glad to hear a parent back up the punishment!

Sorry it took a while to respond. It's been a zoo here. It's seems like when ever we have a bad storm, it washes the weirdos out from under their rocks. You won't believe the things that have come up this week.

K

knorris

Rochell

I was wondering why I hadn't seen you around for a few day's. I don't think my son will ever do anything like this again. Not trying to pat myself on the back but my son is cousin to the sheriff. and the sherrif told me that he would talk to his officer's that were involved in this and take care of it. I would not allow it. though I beleive alot of people would have taking advantage of that being offered to them. I feel my son would not learn anything from someone making it appear that this never happened.he caused this so he must face the music.even son's dad was alittle P.O at me for not going along but to bad. I feel that if we had allowed the sherrif to just make it all dissaper then my son would feel that he could do what he wanted and get away with it. so I know I made the right choice regaurdless of what the out come might have been. so I am not the most popular person right now but I can live with that. I can't wait for my son to start working at the nursing home this weekend. boy is he in for a surprise ha ha. I told the superviser who agreed to let him do this to make sure he got the ''good'' job. don't know if I have ever mentioned that my dad is a sherrifs dep, brother is a state trooper and brother in law is a detective so I have heard some storey's about the full moon and the looneys. I didn't want them all to know about my son loosing his mind and getting into trouble so i didn't ask for there advice when it came to this. anyway thanks for replying always glad to hear from you .Kathie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">