• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my spleen was knicked during surgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bstoned

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan
I traveled from Michigan to Boston for elective repair of a large descending aortic aneurysm. During the surgery, the surgeon unknowlingly knicked my spleen. Four hours following the completion of the 11 hour surgery, I began to bleed internally.

Emergency surgery revealed the source of the bleed as being a ruptured spleen. By that time, my lungs had collapsed, I had developed pneumonia, ARDS, MRSA and various other life threatening conditions. The spleen was removed and I was placed on a ventilator for three weeks. I lost fifty pounds and required the use of a walker to move about. Vancomycin was used to fight the infection. I returned home after five weeks of hospitilization with a PIC line and required two weeks of daily IV treatment.

I am of the belief that this was an unintentional "slip of the knife". That, however doesn't ease the discomfort I have encountered since. The statute of limitations has not run out and I would wonder if I would be advized to seek legal assistance?

You Are Guilty

bstoned said:
I traveled from Michigan to Boston for elective repair of a large descending aortic aneurysm. During the surgery, the surgeon unknowlingly knicked my spleen. Four hours following the completion of the 11 hour surgery, I began to bleed internally.

Emergency surgery revealed the source of the bleed as being a ruptured spleen. By that time, my lungs had collapsed, I had developed pneumonia, ARDS, MRSA and various other life threatening conditions. The spleen was removed and I was placed on a ventilator for three weeks. I lost fifty pounds and required the use of a walker to move about. Vancomycin was used to fight the infection. I returned home after five weeks of hospitilization with a PIC line and required two weeks of daily IV treatment.

I am of the belief that this was an unintentional "slip of the knife". That, however doesn't ease the discomfort I have encountered since. The statute of limitations has not run out and I would wonder if I would be advized to seek legal assistance?
You want permission to speak to a medmal attorney? OK, you got it! Go talk to one (bring all your records) and see what they have to say.

rmet4nzkx

bstoned said:

You don't need our permission to consult a medmal attorney, however, your belief that
an unintentional "slip of the knife"
caused all your problems may not be supported by evidence. Repairing of an Aortic Aneurysm is still very serious surgery.

ellencee

bstoned said:

You have been advised about seeking legal assistance, so I'll skip that part. I'll just address some astounding points in your description of events. In four hours time, you developed pneumonia? ARDS? MRSA? and various other life-threatening conditions? And nothing but damaging your spleen caused all of this? I don't think so.
EC

ellencee

panzertanker said:
Come on, Ruptured spleen, MRSA, collapsed lung, pneumonia, ARDS, and a vent????
Talk about multi-system failure....
That doesn't even mention an 11-hour triple A repair!
EC

rmet4nzkx

panzertanker said:
Come on, Ruptured spleen, MRSA, collapsed lung, pneumonia, ARDS, and a vent????
Talk about multi-system failure....
Lol, I saved this, it is almost a rival
:rolleyes:
Dear FA,
My dear mother is a very young (98 year old) in spirit but her body is not. She has been confined to bed because both feet had to be amputated due to diabetes and after her 4th hip replacement failed. She survived a stroke last year and now has kidney problems which the doctors say they can't treat because of the stroke and that is why she smells bad. She also has cirrhosis, COPD, Hypertension, CHF. The doctors will not put her on any transplant list which would offer her a full recovery and many years of healthy living because she won't watch her weight, stop drinking alcohol or smoking. In fact, they said it doesn't matter at this point what she does, just make her happy! The have given her morphine for pain and now she is addicted to that! She pays for private help who attend to her daily needs, I can't stand the thought of doing it myself, they buy her booze and smokes because I won't. Even worse, they buy her regular candy, ice cream and bakery items. Now she is angry with me because I tried to get her doctors to talk some sense into her, so now they won't talk to me at all, they called her a HIPPO or something! I think there must be some malpractice because the doctors let her get this way in the first place but what really makes me angry is that I just discovered that they discovered a lunp in her remaining breast and won't operate. How much can I sue the doctors for since there won't be much left to inheirit?

Luvndaughter

Your thoughts? LOL?
Do you think we could work OP's contidtions into the above hypothetical post?
Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall when OP goes and consults an attorney? :)

panzertanker

ellencee said:
That doesn't even mention an 11-hour triple A repair!
EC
That the nicked spleen caused, no doubt. I think that the spleen was a problem before any of this other stuff happened.

OP, you should sue the pants off of everyone!!!!!!! :D
Damn....

bstoned

help is available for met4nzka

Sounds like you're doing as well as can be expected, given the info posted by your Luvndaughter. Your desire to be a fly on the wall shows signs of improvement. Tired of being the rear end of a horse?

Put the liquor bottle down and cover one eye. Now, grope around for the phone and get in touch with your local chapter of AA. There's hope for you.

Thanks for the comedic relief!

panzertanker

bstoned said:
Sounds like you're doing as well as can be expected, given the info posted by your Luvndaughter. Your desire to be a fly on the wall shows signs of improvement. Tired of being the rear end of a horse?

Put the liquor bottle down and cover one eye. Now, grope around for the phone and get in touch with your local chapter of AA. There's hope for you.

OP, bstoned, what is your age? I am surprised to hear you had all these multi-organ/ multi-system failures. But if you are elderly....

rmet4nzkx

bstoned said:

Glad you had an endorphin rush, it will do you good. Did you read the word, hypothetical?

rmet4nzkx

--PARIDISE-- said:
You guy's should read up on her posts, I wonder if the 12 inch kitchen knife had anything to do with this.
Good catch! Who woudda thunk to read a thread titled, "property was sold by two sellers can purchaser seek damages from one of them?" To find the TRUTH about her spleen? Of course she has no case what so ever she is only a habitual liar on a fishing expidition.
< > As a result of a violent knife attack by my ex, I have been hospitalized repeatedly since vacating the home. I receive disabilty each month, which is exempt from garnishment. I have no property. I do have a rebuilt aorta (result from stabbing) which I believe is also exempt from garnishment. The home has remained vacant for 14 months and as part of the damages being sought, I am expected to pay $1,500 for each month. Renovations have been taking place during this time.
Last edited by bstoned : 11-28-2005 at 12:21 PM.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">