• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My spouse and I co signed on a vehicle in which i was the first or primary on the auto loan. We are going through divorce and he has sold the vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CasseyP

My spouse sold the vehicle without my signature. Is that even legal? What legal actions can I take??

LdiJ

You posted a statement as the title of your thread and did not ask a question in the text box, you only told us your state. Try editing or responding to the thread to explain your situation and ask your question.

LdiJ

My spouse sold the vehicle without my signature. Is that even legal? What legal actions can I take??
Was it titled with an "and" between the names or an "or" between the names?

If it was "and" the sale was illegal without your signature. If it was "or" it was perfectly legal for him to do so. In any case, you need to address this in your divorce.

adjusterjack

How did your names read on the title?

John and Jane.

John or Jane.

The middle word is critical. If "or" then it was legal.

Either way, if you feel that you should receive compensation from the sale you can address that in court and have it included in your divorce decree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">