• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My stuff??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Imimtrouble13

Me and my wife are parting ways with no divorce filed yet. I was in the military and we lived in military housing. She flip flopped back and forth from going to our family home to staying in the house. So we filled out the paper work for our stuff to be moved. I just want to know can I take all the stuff and put it in storage until we are final? What am I entitled to. What is she entitled to?We also have a two year old child. So also how does that work? Thank you.

adjusterjack

Me and my wife are parting ways with no divorce filed yet. I was in the military and we lived in military housing. She flip flopped back and forth from going to our family home to staying in the house. So we filled out the paper work for our stuff to be moved. I just want to know can I take all the stuff and put it in storage until we are final? What am I entitled to. What is she entitled to?
It's not that easy. You either reach an agreement with her as to who takes what or, if you can't, you wait for a judge to make the decision for you.

We also have a two year old child. So also how does that work? Thank
Chances are that she will get custody and you will pay child support and get visitation.

LdiJ

Me and my wife are parting ways with no divorce filed yet. I was in the military and we lived in military housing. She flip flopped back and forth from going to our family home to staying in the house. So we filled out the paper work for our stuff to be moved. I just want to know can I take all the stuff and put it in storage until we are final? What am I entitled to. What is she entitled to?We also have a two year old child. So also how does that work? Thank you.
So you want to leave your wife without any "stuff" for months on end until your divorce is final? That is going to make you look like a total jerk.

Sit down with your wife and decide who gets what now.

justalayman

You can do whatever you would like with "your stuff" but the marital stuff belongs to the both of you. If you attempt to grab all of the marital assets and not allow your wife to access them, expect a judge to slam you pretty hard. It isn't "your stuff" but stuff that belongs to the both of you and either needs to be divided by agreement or a court's order.

As to the child;

If you can't agree to which parent the child will reside and who has legal authority over decisions regarding the child you will have to seek the courts directives and orders regarding the child. Either or both of you can seek primary custody. Without a lot more information it is impossible to say who will end up with primary (physical) custody and whether the other parent will pay child support to them or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">