• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My team lead is abusive to everyone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmr106

I'm in Atlanta, GA.

I started working temp to hire at a local distribution company. I've been there for 5 or 6 weeks now. I'm less than two weeks away from direct hire on with the company. I like the job. My coworkers like me and know that I am always trying to help others out when I can. I started in one department and when my manager saw how well I did in that area, I got "promoted" (aka simply moved) to another area where there is a different team lead. The team lead in the area is basically at war with the team lead in the first department that I was in and rants all day long about the other lead and department in general. This new lead is caustic, I have seen her physically hit people, cuss them out and just screams at people passing by all day. She seems to think she's the manager of the whole building and tries to tell every department (which has its own lead) how to do their jobs and that's not even her area. She tries to scold other people's employees. She's rude and hard to get along with. Every employee before me either got fired (stopped showing up for work or had issues like being late) or left. So many employees all over the building are aware of her nasty attitude and how she talks to people like they're children. No idea why the company is okay with this. She used to have to help out in the other department that I initially started in. They would go to lunch for 30 minutes and we would go over and help them. The lead in my new department would come over and lead that area for 30 minutes and would get into screaming arguments with workers. A lot of people in the building moved away from working in her area because they couldn't work with her.

She's petty. Severely OCD about every little thing, micromanages for pathetic things and actually thinks she can tell people what to do when on their time. For instance, I once clocked out at the end of the day and I was waiting in the break room for my ride to come pick me up. She came into the break room and asked me how long before my ride would show up and thought she was going to "wait" for me during that time to make sure nobody said anything bad about her to me. She's that pathetic. She constantly says everyone else has "negative energy" and it is her. She literally walks into the door every morning with a scowl on her face. If people don't say "Good Morning" to her, she'll scream, "I didn't sleep with you last night!" until they say "Good Morning" to her. It is ridiculous.

My former coworker got fired for taking part in or associating with theft from the company. Police were called and he was arrested. That's my team lead's boyfriend. She's a big mess.

Drivers, people in other departments and the whole building know of her notoriously. She's not a high position. She's possibly the lowest position lead-wise in the building and not even a manager. Both of my managers know she's a mess and hard to get along with. She goes by the nickname "queen" and everyone from the regular employees in all departments up to the president - yes the president of the company - refers to her by that nickname. Her clock-in name is also "queen" whereas everyone else's is their last name and gets called by their regular name. I'm completely puzzled.

Lately she has been trying to blame me for stuff and saying that managers are coming to her to ask about certain things that she claims I should have done. That's part of her job to check those things. She's acting like "I'm a good employee and she doesn't want to see them get rid of me"...but I think it is actually her job on the line. Over her time there, she was worked in at least 3 departments and had issues with people in every department. The company keeps her for some reason. I'm puzzled as to why. Also, my manager mentioned to me the other day that they're about to bring me on directly with the company and my team lead is trying to act like they're trying to fire me for messing up the petty stuff she's talking about.

When we get done at the end of the day, I go over and help out the other department with cleaning up and such. My managers have no issue with this. This team lead has an issue with it because she's at war with the department that I help out. I do it for the overtime and she wants me to not stay later and help them. She'll try to get me and a coworker to go home and say stuff like, "You're a fool if you go help them"...and she'll claim every day that she's going home early. I'll see her over in the area that she said she isn't going to help out in, every day. She's so double-minded and unstable. Pretty sure she has possible bi-polar or mental issues. She's paranoid about everything and always listening. Clearly the worst supervisor I have ever had in my life.

What can I do? I suspect that everyone is scared to say anything about her. No idea how she got such a grip on the company as it is pretty big.

quincy

I'm in Atlanta, GA.

I started working temp to hire at a local distribution company. I've been there for 5 or 6 weeks now. I'm less than two weeks away from direct hire on with the company. I like the job. My coworkers like me and know that I am always trying to help others out when I can. I started in one department and when my manager saw how well I did in that area, I got "promoted" (aka simply moved) to another area where there is a different team lead. The team lead in the area is basically at war with the team lead in the first department that I was in and rants all day long about the other lead and department in general. This new lead is caustic, I have seen her physically hit people, cuss them out and just screams at people passing by all day. She seems to think she's the manager of the whole building and tries to tell every department (which has its own lead) how to do their jobs and that's not even her area. She tries to scold other people's employees. She's rude and hard to get along with. Every employee before me either got fired (stopped showing up for work or had issues like being late) or left. So many employees all over the building are aware of her nasty attitude and how she talks to people like they're children. No idea why the company is okay with this. She used to have to help out in the other department that I initially started in. They would go to lunch for 30 minutes and we would go over and help them. The lead in my new department would come over and lead that area for 30 minutes and would get into screaming arguments with workers. A lot of people in the building moved away from working in her area because they couldn't work with her.

She's petty. Severely OCD about every little thing, micromanages for pathetic things and actually thinks she can tell people what to do when on their time. For instance, I once clocked out at the end of the day and I was waiting in the break room for my ride to come pick me up. She came into the break room and asked me how long before my ride would show up and thought she was going to "wait" for me during that time to make sure nobody said anything bad about her to me. She's that pathetic. She constantly says everyone else has "negative energy" and it is her. She literally walks into the door every morning with a scowl on her face. If people don't say "Good Morning" to her, she'll scream, "I didn't sleep with you last night!" until they say "Good Morning" to her. It is ridiculous.

My former coworker got fired for taking part in or associating with theft from the company. Police were called and he was arrested. That's my team lead's boyfriend. She's a big mess.

Drivers, people in other departments and the whole building know of her notoriously. She's not a high position. She's possibly the lowest position lead-wise in the building and not even a manager. Both of my managers know she's a mess and hard to get along with. She goes by the nickname "queen" and everyone from the regular employees in all departments up to the president - yes the president of the company - refers to her by that nickname. Her clock-in name is also "queen" whereas everyone else's is their last name and gets called by their regular name. I'm completely puzzled.

Lately she has been trying to blame me for stuff and saying that managers are coming to her to ask about certain things that she claims I should have done. That's part of her job to check those things. She's acting like "I'm a good employee and she doesn't want to see them get rid of me"...but I think it is actually her job on the line. Over her time there, she was worked in at least 3 departments and had issues with people in every department. The company keeps her for some reason. I'm puzzled as to why. Also, my manager mentioned to me the other day that they're about to bring me on directly with the company and my team lead is trying to act like they're trying to fire me for messing up the petty stuff she's talking about.

When we get done at the end of the day, I go over and help out the other department with cleaning up and such. My managers have no issue with this. This team lead has an issue with it because she's at war with the department that I help out. I do it for the overtime and she wants me to not stay later and help them. She'll try to get me and a coworker to go home and say stuff like, "You're a fool if you go help them"...and she'll claim every day that she's going home early. I'll see her over in the area that she said she isn't going to help out in, every day. She's so double-minded and unstable. Pretty sure she has possible bi-polar or mental issues. She's paranoid about everything and always listening. Clearly the worst supervisor I have ever had in my life.

What can I do? I suspect that everyone is scared to say anything about her. No idea how she got such a grip on the company as it is pretty big.
Smile, do your job, try not to let her irritate you.

jmr106

And don't threaten to shoot her even if it's only a paintball gun.

Your family appears to have difficulty with supervisors.

Gail

I have a 100% stable work history with no issues. However, are you overlooking workplace violations that are likely against the law? Looks that way. Are you telling me that you've never, ever had a bad supervisor or manager to deal with professionally in a workplace? Because that's a load of bull if you claim that. Either that or you worked for mom-and-pop companies outside of the real world. No, violence is never the answer. My situation is completely unrelated with an extended family member and hundreds of millions of people around the world have issues with their supervisors and managers on a daily basis. So much that, in fact...there are FORUMS online for it. Yes, forums. Like the one you're on now. Do you dispute that?

quincy

I have a 100% stable work history with no issues. However, are you overlooking workplace violations that are likely against the law? Looks that way. Are you telling me that you've never, ever had a bad supervisor or manager to deal with professionally in a workplace? Because that's a load of bull if you claim that. Either that or you worked for mom-and-pop companies outside of the real world. No, violence is never the answer.
You can speak to HR if you believe she is crossing a legal line.

But it sounds like you just have the misfortune of working under a crappy team leader.

jmr106

You can speak to HR if you believe she is crossing a legal line.

But it sounds like you just have the misfortune of working under a crappy team leader.
Possibly. Some have gone to management about her. I "can" transfer to another department/area and avoid her completely, but will basically become another one of the "enemies" of her as if I have crossed over into some dark side. Trying to handle it more professionally than just running from the problem. They'll replace me with another employee if I do that and they'll have issues with her and get fired or quit, then repeat who knows how many times and keep running through employees. My latest coworker lasted two days and quit coming to work with her. He called her Lucifer because he said there is no other explanation for someone that evil. He also made that statement in front of our/her assistant manager in the break room.

quincy

Possibly. Some have gone to management about her. I "can" transfer to another department/area and avoid her completely, but will basically become another one of the "enemies" of her as if I have crossed over into some dark side. They'll replace me with another employee if I do that and they'll have issues with her and get fired or quit, then repeat who knows how many times. My latest coworker lasted two days and quit coming to work with her. He called her Lucifer because he said there is no other explanation for someone that evil. He also made that statement in front of our/her assistant manager in the break room.
If you know you have the option of transferring to a different department, keep that thought in mind every time she becomes unpleasant - and transfer if you find you can no longer tolerate working in the environment she is creating.

But, if you can do your work despite her bad behavior, you might find yourself earning some brownie points with upper management.

Anyone can work for nice bosses. It takes a person with tolerance, a positive attitude, good work ethics and no small amount of skill to work for a bully.

Good luck.

Eekamouse

Sounds like all you want to do is complain about the situation and not really look for a way to resolve it. The smartest thing to do would be to look for a new job or suck it up and learn that often times, you're forced to work with people you don't get along with. It's called life. Deal with it.

jmr106

If you know you have the option of transferring to a different department, keep that thought in mind every time she becomes unpleasant - and transfer if you find you can no longer tolerate working in the environment she is creating.

But, if you can do your work despite her bad behavior, you might find yourself earning some brownie points with upper management.

Anyone can work for nice bosses. It takes a person with tolerance, a positive attitude, good work ethics and no small amount of skill to work for a bully.

Good luck.
Per the assistant manager over her and myself, I have "lasted longer than everyone else" so far. They're aware of what is going on, so I have been trying to deal with that. Some days are easier than others.

jmr106

Sounds like all you want to do is complain about the situation and not really look for a way to resolve it. The smartest thing to do would be to look for a new job or suck it up and learn that often times, you're forced to work with people you don't get along with. It's called life. Deal with it.
Violation of workplace policies is not life. Life is about being professional and dealing with problems as they come, not cowering into a corner or being bullied or harassed at a workplace. Big difference. Looking for a new job is what everyone else did - the cowardly way. Didn't solve the problem.

quincy

Per the assistant manager over her and myself, I have "lasted longer than everyone else" so far. They're aware of what is going on, so I have been trying to deal with that. Some days are easier than others.
Continue to do your job. Speak to HR if she becomes overly abusive. Let your coworkers handle their own complaints with her on their own. And leave either the department or the job entirely if work becomes unbearable.

Good luck.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I have a 100% stable work history with no issues. However, are you overlooking workplace violations that are likely against the law? Looks that way. Are you telling me that you've never, ever had a bad supervisor or manager to deal with professionally in a workplace? Because that's a load of bull if you claim that. Either that or you worked for mom-and-pop companies outside of the real world. No, violence is never the answer. My situation is completely unrelated with an extended family member and hundreds of millions of people around the world have issues with their supervisors and managers on a daily basis. So much that, in fact...there are FORUMS online for it. Yes, forums. Like the one you're on now. Do you dispute that?
Ha. Ha. Ha.

We've all had bad situations. As you were advised in post #2, put a smile on your face and do the best job you can. And yes, that is legal advice.

1) You are less likely to get fired if you are pleasant and do your job.
2) If you are fired, you are more likely to get unemployment.
3) If you bring up your concerns to HR, you are more credible.

Plus, frown lines don't look good on anyone.

Violation of workplace policies is not life. Life is about being professional and dealing with problems as they come, not cowering into a corner or being bullied or harassed at a workplace. Big difference. Looking for a new job is what everyone else did - the cowardly way. Didn't solve the problem.
Looking for a new job if you don't like your current job is what smart people do.

Applying for jobs is not an act of cowardice.

eerelations

Nothing in any of your posts indicates that this person has violated any laws, except the hitting people part. If/when she hits people it is up to the people who've been hit to contact the police about it. If she hits you, you may contact the police. Otherwise, you have no legal recourse in this matter.

PayrollHRGuy

@jmr106 In your post you diagnosed at least four mental disorders. Since I'm willing to bet you have neither the medical training or access to your bosses medical history your statements are defamation. You might want to stop that.

As has been said, with the exception of hitting people you have described nothing illegal. You really need to understand your place in the world on this. You are not even an employee of the company. This team lead may well have some say if you ever become an employee. If you don't like the environment you are free to head back to the temp agency and ask for another assignment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Specifically, what law - not company policy, LAW - do you believe is being violated? Be specific. Cite statutes or case law names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">