• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My wife's employer does not deduct enough for city taxes. Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scott85

She works for a animal clinic in Gahanna Ohio but we live in Columbus Ohio. I work in Columbus by the way. From what she has told me her employer only deducts only 1.5% tax for Columbus which is suppose to be 2.0%. Anyway she tried to get her employer to fix it but there either too dumb or lazy and won't do it just for one person and they said they would have to do it for all the employees. So for years we had HR Block do our taxes and they fixed it so that the missing city tax .5% was paid to the city of Columbus I assume they filed a form with the city or something like that, but anyway they did it on their end.

Now I do my own taxes with Turbo tax online, I did the taxes for 2013 and I just finished doing the 2014 returns this morning. According to TT I'm getting a refund from the Federal and from the state. I filed jointly, me and the wife no kids. TT says we owe nothing, does that mean we're good and we got nothing to worry about ? Wife says we have to file a form separately with the city of Columbus to pay that .5% for 2014.

So what do I do ? I've got my returns from 2013/2014 in pdf so I check it if I need to. Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She works for a animal clinic in Gahanna Ohio but we live in Columbus Ohio. I work in Columbus by the way. From what she has told me her employer only deducts only 1.5% tax for Columbus which is suppose to be 2.0%. Anyway she tried to get her employer to fix it but there either too dumb or lazy and won't do it just for one person and they said they would have to do it for all the employees. So for years we had HR Block do our taxes and they fixed it so that the missing city tax .5% was paid to the city of Columbus I assume they filed a form with the city or something like that, but anyway they did it on their end.

Now I do my own taxes with Turbo tax online, I did the taxes for 2013 and I just finished doing the 2014 returns this morning. According to TT I'm getting a refund from the Federal and from the state. I filed jointly, me and the wife no kids. TT says we owe nothing, does that mean we're good and we got nothing to worry about ? Wife says we have to file a form separately with the city of Columbus to pay that .5% for 2014.

So what do I do ? I've got my returns from 2013/2014 in pdf so I check it if I need to. Thanks
Listen to your wife.

ETA: The wife's employer is withholding what they are required to withhold. The income tax rate in Gahanna is 1.5%. They're neither dumb nor lazy.

Last edited:

Scott85

So really, I still have to do this then separately with the city ? Why doesn't Turbo tax take care of this imbalance on it's own ? Thanks

Zigner

So really, I still have to do this then separately with the city ? Why doesn't Turbo tax take care of this imbalance on it's own ? Thanks
I'm sure there is a way to contact Turbo Tax to ask about this matter. They may or may not be willing to add such a feature

Scott85

So just to be clear, TT 99% probably did not account for this and I have to check with the city ? I just thought filing jointly would maybe off set it. Thanks

Zigner

I have to wonder...did you enter any information about the .5% in to Turbo Tax?

Zigner

TurboTax asks about local taxes/locale as one is entering Ohio state information, IIRC. :cool:
So, it asks how much you paid, but it doesn't check every single locality to make sure that amount was correct? That would mean it's on the user to "fix" any problem with the local taxing authority.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
So, it asks how much you paid, but it doesn't check every single locality to make sure that amount was correct? That would mean it's on the user to "fix" any problem with the local taxing authority.
I don't remember. I know that the OP could find the answer to his questions if he'd go to their website and query the help section. :cool:

OHRoadwarrior

Her employer is taking out city tax where she works. If you live in a higher tax district you owe the difference. She is supposed to make quarterly payments, I'm surprised she does not get penalized. TT only handle state and Federal returns. Columbus is not a RITA member so she must file a return with the city directly for the .5% differential.

Scott85

I have to wonder...did you enter any information about the .5% in to Turbo Tax?

TT does not ask about any kind of percentages. I'm disappointed a little with TT cause their suppose to see this, that's why I'm paying them so it's done right. Also my wife co-workers are also dealing with this problem too. My work takes out the correct 2% amount. Just because by law they are taking out the what they have too doesn't mean their not dumb. They could could fix this but they refuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">