• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

myspace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stregg

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I'm 18 if it matters

If you're familiar with myspace, this is much easier. If not, myspace is basically a website for people to meet eachother (not really a dating site) but a networking type site that many (mostly young) people use to meet and greet and whatnot. Anyways, a friend of mine, who is 17, created several fake accounts posing as teachers from my old high school. He used some vulgar terms and whatnot, and they were all pretty much negative. Some of the information was true, some was not. The school has yet to find out who it is, but many of the teachers want to press charges on the people who did it. I have been involved in trouble on the internet before (i was never sued or anything but just in trouble at school), so I am an obvious suspect. The headmaster of the school (i no longer attend there; i graduated) has started to interrogate my younger sophomore brother and is trying to get him to say that i made some of the sites (which i didnt; i have no tie to this other than the fact that i have viewed them and i know who made them). All the accounts were made with mailinator e-mail addresses, making them very hard to trace. one of the teachers says he wants to sue myspace, saying that it's their job to verify that all the information on there is true. so my first question is, does he have a chance at all of suing a multi-million dollar corporation that i do not believe has any responsibility to verify that information? he then told me that he was next going to sue the kid who did it, but there's really no way for him to find out that i know of. the only way i know of would be for him to get a court order for myspace to release the IP addresses of who logged into those accounts, which would cost him alot of money in legal fees, right?

Secondly, I think that I will be suspected in this case if lawsuits are ever brought up. I told my parents, "good, let them try to sue me, the burden of proof is on them." my parents (one a cpa who deals with law fairly often) said, "you're an idiot. you'll have to pay tons of legal fees and whatnot to defend yourself." I don't see why I would even need a lawyer, because I have nothing to defend, because I am not involved. They have to prove that I did anything, which they can't and won't. So basically, I want to know if I have to worry about getting a lawyer and I have anything to worry about. And if they can't prove anything, could i bring up any type of counter-suit? If you need anymore info, let me know.

Thanks a bunch

BelizeBreeze

stregg said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I'm 18 if it matters

If you're familiar with myspace, this is much easier. If not, myspace is basically a website for people to meet eachother (not really a dating site) but a networking type site that many (mostly young) people use to meet and greet and whatnot. Anyways, a friend of mine, who is 17, created several fake accounts posing as teachers from my old high school. He used some vulgar terms and whatnot, and they were all pretty much negative. Some of the information was true, some was not.
Examples?
The school has yet to find out who it is, but many of the teachers want to press charges on the people who did it.
And that's up to them, not you.
I have been involved in trouble on the internet before (i was never sued or anything but just in trouble at school), so I am an obvious suspect.
Really irrelevant.
The headmaster of the school (i no longer attend there; i graduated) has started to interrogate my younger sophomore brother and is trying to get him to say that i made some of the sites (which i didnt; i have no tie to this other than the fact that i have viewed them and i know who made them).
Then why don't you tell the headmaster and get your little brother out from inbetween.
All the accounts were made with mailinator e-mail addresses, making them very hard to trace. one of the teachers says he wants to sue myspace, saying that it's their job to verify that all the information on there is true.
And they are wrong.
so my first question is, does he have a chance at all of suing a multi-million dollar corporation that i do not believe has any responsibility to verify that information?
Sure he does. does he have a chance of winning? VERY doubtful since the publisher (legally defined in many court cases and refering to myspace.com in this context) does not assume the liability for such postings.
he then told me that he was next going to sue the kid who did it, but there's really no way for him to find out that i know of.
So, you know the person and yet have decided to let him skate while your little brother is taking the crap from this childish incident. Wonderful sister you are.
the only way i know of would be for him to get a court order for myspace to release the IP addresses of who logged into those accounts, which would cost him alot of money in legal fees, right?
Actually, no. It's not that expensive.
Secondly, I think that I will be suspected in this case if lawsuits are ever brought up. I told my parents, "good, let them try to sue me, the burden of proof is on them." my parents (one a cpa who deals with law fairly often) said, "you're an idiot. you'll have to pay tons of legal fees and whatnot to defend yourself."
You have a very smart parent there.
I don't see why I would even need a lawyer, because I have nothing to defend, because I am not involved.
Keep thinking that way and you'll find yourself on the wrong end of a default judgement.
They have to prove that I did anything, which they can't and won't.
WRONG jedi master. They don't have to prove anyting to file a lawsuit.
So basically, I want to know if I have to worry about getting a lawyer and I have anything to worry about. And if they can't prove anything, could i bring up any type of counter-suit? If you need anymore info, let me know.

Thanks a bunch
It sounds, from your post, that you are indeed guilty of this childish game so yes, I would strongly suggest either you tell them who did it or close it down and keep your mouth shut.

stregg

no, i am not guilty of a single thing. the reason i havent said anything to the headmaster is because my parents said not to and that they would take care of him bothering my brother.

if i was guilty of anything, i would have been asking what i should be doing to get out of it

Crazed98

stregg said:
no, i am not guilty of a single thing. the reason i havent said anything to the headmaster is because my parents said not to and that they would take care of him bothering my brother.

if i was guilty of anything, i would have been asking what i should be doing to get out of it

Just listen to your parents and like breeze said keep your mouth shut. You might also want clear your pc of any evidence that your had anything to do with it. ;)

HomeGuru

Crazed98 said:
Just listen to your parents and like breeze said keep your mouth shut. You might also want clear your pc of any evidence that your had anything to do with it. ;)

**A: yes, take the hard drive and destroy it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">