• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mysterious check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdmiller2005

What is the name of your state? PA

Today I received a check for $25,000 from a well known life insurance company. In the "pay to" line it lists "IRREVOCABLE AGREEMENT / TRUST DTD 12/31/96" and my address. That's it. I live in an apartment and have been here for over 2 years. The stub of the check says, "TERMINATION PROCEEDS UNDER POLICY NUMBER XXXXXXXX REPLACES CHECK XXXXXXX ISSU / ED 9/15/05 - 84NDE".

What should I do with this check? Return it to the company? Cash it? Throw it away? What is extremely odd is that the check is not made out to any actual entity (person or manufactured). I have not received any mail for the person who previously lived in my apartment during the two years that I've lived here.

Advice, please!

tigger22472

mdmiller2005 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

Today I received a check for $25,000 from a well known life insurance company. In the "pay to" line it lists "IRREVOCABLE AGREEMENT / TRUST DTD 12/31/96" and my address. That's it. I live in an apartment and have been here for over 2 years. The stub of the check says, "TERMINATION PROCEEDS UNDER POLICY NUMBER XXXXXXXX REPLACES CHECK XXXXXXX ISSU / ED 9/15/05 - 84NDE".

What should I do with this check? Return it to the company? Cash it? Throw it away? What is extremely odd is that the check is not made out to any actual entity (person or manufactured). I have not received any mail for the person who previously lived in my apartment during the two years that I've lived here.

Advice, please!

You should likely start with calling the company and seeing exactly what it is and what it is for. It kind of sounds to me like one of those generic checks sent to obtain your business, except where it says it replaces a check. Again, just call the company on Monday.

Dandy Don

Your bank won't accept it for payment if it doesn't have your name. After you find out the details, IF it is supposed to be your money you will need to ask the company to void the check they sent (return it to them) and ask them to reissue another one that shows your name correctly.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">