• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mystery insurance policy - how can we find it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WantToHelpDad

What is the name of your state? - OR (see below)

My father's aunt, who lived in Lebanon, OR (Linn County) recently passed away. He spoke to her regularly and had been sending her checks each month to pay her life insurance premium. She told him that he was the sole beneficiary of her life insurance policy, but never told him which company she had life insurance with. She has a few children (not very nice), who took what they could from her house and burned the majority of her paperwork. They are aware of the policy and are upset that my dad was the beneficiary, so they won't give him any information about it. He says he can get access to her death certificate so, if we can find out which company her policy was with, we can forward it to them so they'll be aware that she's deceased. Is there any way (without hiring a lawyer) we can find out who the policy was through? My father is a resident of CA, and I live in WA - he's disabled and doesn't have much money - he could really use this to pay bills and fix his home! I'm a student and don't have enough money to hire a lawyer and help him with this. I've got the number for the Linn County probate court, and I'll call them tomorrow when they're open - he says that he thinks her children are trying to keep her estate out of probate for the time being, so they may not have any information. Any advice you could provide would be so appreciated! Thank you. :)

Dandy Don

L-LIFE INSURANCE.COM does great work. If they can't find the policy for you, you will need to hire a probate attorney (or consult with one to see if he will work for you or your dad at a reduced rate) to file to become administrator of aunt's estate and force the other relatives to produce the will and information about the policy and other assets.

Even if they won't cooperate, after the attorney becomes administrator he can order copies of aunt's cancelled checks for years prior and perhaps there will be a cancelled check in their that shows the name and address of the insurance company that she made premium payments to.

WantToHelpDad

Thanks so much for your help. I'd found a few other sites like this (MIB, unclaimedassets.com) but I wasn't sure which ones were legit/worth the money. I've read that the MIB site is only successful 20% of the time! Her estate isn't in probate (we checked this morning), and I'm sure if this search doesn't help, finding a way to get her cancelled checks will. I wonder if we could forward her mail to his house just by submitting a change of address form with the post office? I've read that the insurance companies will start sending notices if they stop getting monthly payments - I'm not sure if having her mail sent to him is legal, though. Thanks again for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">