• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mystery shopping

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dolphin03041980

What is the name of your state? wisconsin

my husband was wondering if it is possible for him to get fired from a position because he doesn't want to go mystery shopping.
mystery shopping in this case is when you go store to store and steal products and try and get away with it and you keep doing this until you would get caught. and you do give back whatever is stolen. there's more to it but i'm suppose to keep with the question.

by the way there is no place that it is said that he has to do this, not in his contract and not in his employment handbook. he was told that mystery shopping was for managers who want to move up in the company and it's so they can see the security point of view. he has turned down the general office 2 other times and they didn't seem to care but now a person that works in the general office wants to know why he's in a managers position.

thanks for any advice

H

hexeliebe

my husband was wondering if it is possible for him to get fired from a position because he doesn't want to go mystery shopping.mystery shopping in this case is when you go store to store and steal products and try and get away with it and you keep doing this until you would get caught. and you do give back whatever is stolen. there's more to it but i'm suppose to keep with the question.
First off, this is NOT an accurate description of what is commonly referred to as 'mystery shopping'. The term is based on the practice of a client company hiring a 'shopper' or 'shopping provider' to go into the store, purchase items and act out a script to either fluster the cashier, test their knowledge and/or customer relations expertise or to judge the quality of service in other measurable means.

The service is also used in restaurants, movies, airlines and many other industries. It is also used as a security check especially in theatres when the shopper may attend an early show then come to the same theatre at a later time and record ticket sequence numbers to validate that tickets are not being recycled, thereby depriving the house of revenue.

by the way there is no place that it is said that he has to do this, not in his contract and not in his employment handbook. he was told that mystery shopping was for managers who want to move up in the company and it's so they can see the security point of view. he has turned down the general office 2 other times and they didn't seem to care but now a person that works in the general office wants to know why he's in a managers position.
There is no law against his boss asking him to perform a duty that the business feels is within (or, for that matter outside) the scope of his duties. Regardless of whether or not it is in the employee handbook.

Simply stated, he has the right to refuse and the company has the right to fire him.

If he does not refuse and I were in his place, I would require a notice of waiver for any and all criminal charges which may result from such activities, written notification to the head of security (with a copy to me) that this would be taking place as a training exercise and a file letter specifying when and at what location this would be taking place, along with a contact person (name and position) who will be ready to verify that I am conducting a security audit.

But that's just me.

D

dolphin03041980

my husband doesn't think it's right to make him do something he doesn't believe in and it only teaches one person a lesson not everybody

D

dolphin03041980

they also call it secret shopping maybe thats didn't than mystery shopping

D

dolphin03041980

oh and i also failed to mention that when he does get caught there isn't any charges, all he has to do is show his name badge.

also there are times that he has to pay for things at the stores by using his own money and he doesn't get reimbursed until 2 weeks later and we don't have to money as it is because i am unemployed

H

hexeliebe

regardless of what your husband thinks or feels, there is nothing wrong in firing him for not complying.

The choice is his.

Beth3

"my husband doesn't think it's right to make him do something he doesn't believe in and it only teaches one person a lesson not everybody" It's not up to your husband to set policy for the store. If he wants to refuse this duty, he may - and he can then expect to be terminated.

"also there are times that he has to pay for things at the stores by using his own money and he doesn't get reimbursed until 2 weeks later and we don't have to money as it is because i am unemployed" So? No laws require the employer to reimburse him on the spot. If they have a two week reimbursement policy, that's shorter than most employers.

Your husband is welcome to try to find a job where management won't ever require him to do anything he doesn't want to.

D

dolphin03041980

he's knows he can find a new job but he's been doing this one for 8 and a half years

H

hexeliebe

What else do you want us to say? Legally you have been given the advice that is valid. Anything else is pure BS.

So you have your options.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He has two choices:

1.) He can do the mystery shopping or secret shopping or whatever you want to call it, and keep his job.

2.) He can refuse to do it, and risk getting fired from his job.

The employer is breaking no laws in requiring him to do this, and will not be breaking any laws if he fires your husband for refusing to do this.

That's the bottom line.

HomeGuru

dolphin03041980 said:
oh and i also failed to mention that when he does get caught there isn't any charges, all he has to do is show his name badge.

also there are times that he has to pay for things at the stores by using his own money and he doesn't get reimbursed until 2 weeks later and we don't have to money as it is because i am unemployed
**A: sounds like a mystery shoplifter rather than a mystery shopper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">