• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Hi. I am self employed and I got married this year. I have paid my first three quartlies under my maiden name, and am wondering how to handle the fourth.

Do I need to inform the IRS of my name change? I'm filing jointly with my husband in '03, and am not sure if I should use my married or maiden name on the 1040. I've already registered the new name with the SSA.



Senior Member
If you have notified the Social Security Administration of the name change, file your 1040 with the new name, provided you have received your new SS Card.

E-filing is matched to the SSA database, so tax forms need to match what SSA has on file.

Since the fourth installment is due in January, you'll pay it using your new name, same as your other tax forms.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential