• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbowman

So, what do you call him with your son? You tell him he has no father or dad? How sad.

You have to realize, legally - he has no dad since dad is not on birth certificate. He may also not have a person acting as a father in his life. But, we all know you didn't make him on his own.
How is it sad??? In one sentence youre telling her that it is sad to tell her son that he has no dad and in the next you are telling her that her son HAS no dad. Bizarre.

We are all arguing these itty bitty details. They arent in a court room when they are at home and she is explaining to her child (that wants to know about his father) what the situation is. Its either sad or its the legal truth.

GaPeaches123

That's not a very nice thing to say about your husband...
LOL!!!

jbowman...I have to agree..but it is ok. I have the truth on my side, and that is all that I can attest to. My son is a wonderful young man without the help of AD. I can only be as honest with him as I can. That has been my philosophy and always will be ;) . Thank you for your support.

Legally or not I know who biologically created him with me, if need be it can be proven. I will leave that up to later decisions.

Humusluvr

How is it sad??? In one sentence youre telling her that it is sad to tell her son that he has no dad and in the next you are telling her that her son HAS no dad. Bizarre.

We are all arguing these itty bitty details. They arent in a court room when they are at home and she is explaining to her child (that wants to know about his father) what the situation is. Its either sad or its the legal truth.
OK, I'm going to agree with you here that I argued both sides of the case.

Dad is not being a dad.

Legally, dad isn't even dad since he never signed the paperwork.

OP knows who "dad" is ( I get that), and she wishes he would step up and acknowledge his role.

I guess where I'm going with the whole thing is that son should know he has a dad. Dad hasn't been around, and that sucks. Dad hasn't stepped up. But, kiddo has some great people in his life who love him, and he knows who his family is. For 15 years, he has been loved and cared for, and for as much as OP wants it - she can't force dad to be there. And after 15 years, I don't think she should be forcing anything. Unless she wants to file for CS, and I'm all for that.

Even if dad doesn't take an active role, he should still support his kiddo.

The whole situation just stinks, most of all for this 15 year old kid. He has questions, but the answers to those questions may cause more harm than good.

I think mom should just leave it alone. She did a great job for 15 year, why change status quo?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">