• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



colorado, my son has a hyphenated name which is my last name and then his dads last name. i'm getting married and would like to change his last name to my new last name. can i do so without having to ask his dad for permission since his dads last name will still be there?


Senior Member
My response:

Courts use the "best interests of the child" criteria in such situations, taking many things into account, such as whether it is necessary to make the change, the child's age, whether such a change would cause the minor any confusion, and many other factors.

In other words, it is not a simple matter to do, all because you're getting married to someone else.

Good luck to you.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential