• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name on the Green Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hanka

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ

Hello!!!

Finally after 14 month I just returned back to the US to live with my husband. He is american citizen and because of that I got the Immigrant Visa ... the Green Card, that has to be mailed to me. In the meantime I have the Immigrant Visa in my passport.

My question is: I come from Czech Republic where there is normal, then when woman gets married she gets the name of her husband + suffix OVA. So my husbands name is SPELDA, my name is SPELDOVA. I have it in my passport, I have it on my visa, I will have it on my green card. Is there any chance that I can change it so that my name is same as my husband. I feel like the current name can be very confusing and it might bring us a lot of problems.

Can I do something about it?

Thank you for your advice.

Hanka

dalsh

hi
you were separated 14 months? ouch
welcome
That naming system is just unfamiliar here, but changing a name for an LPR is the same as for a citizen.
you can legally change your name in court, and with that court order you can change your name on everything (including greencard and visa) but not your passport because that was issued by your home country.
I dont know anything about changing your current passport.
If in the future if you naturalize, you can request a name change then, and both your naturalization and name change can be done in front of a judge at that time. I don't know anyone thats done that, I've just read its possible.

heres a link regarding legal name changes - specific to new jersey
http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/courts/howtonamechange.cfm
hope this helps

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">