• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Naming Boyfriend in BK Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

goatsrus92329

What is the name of your state? California
Scenario: I had good credit,live in boyfriend for 9 years didn't. I used his income to get higher limits, he handed me his check to pay the bills, charged several vehicles to my cards, I own a home on land, and a vehicle worth 8,000 blue book. I've been skating off his income and he was paying the bills until the debt was over 50,000, now he is walking. I have been only working two days a weeks and tax papers show my income is around 12,000 per year, so obviously without his income I had to open a BK case with an attorney who said I should list him in the case so they can protect me if he comes after me for more. What I am curious about is, a couple of vehicles had my name on them, but he has removed them from my sight, one of which the attorney advised would be sought after by the Trustee, so will the Trustee go after the boyfriend for the vehicles or any of his money? Just wondering..

Ladynred

Since the vehicles have your name on them and he has apparently hidden them somewhere, why not report them stolen ? Let the police find the vehicles for you. If he's driving either of them, they'll get him and you'll have at least one, with a good possibility of finding the other. He's done you no favors, so don't be squeamish about reporting them stolen.

dncr

Ladynred said:
Since the vehicles have your name on them and he has apparently hidden them somewhere, why not report them stolen ? Let the police find the vehicles for you. If he's driving either of them, they'll get him and you'll have at least one, with a good possibility of finding the other. He's done you no favors, so don't be squeamish about reporting them stolen.
He's done her no favors?? He paid for everything, apparently for nine years!

Did he pay for the cars too, even though they were in your name? Don't you think he's entitled to them if he did?

Ladynred

She also said that several vehicles had been charged to HER cards, so, unless he pays her cash for the amounts on HER cards, then SHE is stuck paying the debt and HE hasn't 'paid' for the vehicles !

The vehicles are in HER name, they are considered to be HER assets, and the debt is on HER cards, therefore she should have the right to report them stolen and get the property back. If he's going to be a scumbag, even after nine years, and leave her with that kind of debt that HE at least helped rack up then he has done her NO favors.

dncr

"I've been skating off his income and he was paying the bills until the debt was over 50,000..." This is what leads me to believe he's not completely at fault here.

Ladynred

I never said he was.. but the vehicles, if in her name and on her credit cards, are considered HER assets so she should have the right to take them back.

G

goatsrus92329

re: boyfriend and vehicles

Two of the vehicles were titled in both names, his and mine, the rest were in his name, and all but one was paid with my credit cards, and he was making the payments on the cards. The one vehicle that the attorney said was valuable to the trustee as an 8,000 asset was paid by me refinancing my house, in my name and giving him the cash to purchase. Attorney said nothing I can do if he removes it or sells it, so if I can keep my house which is questionable since I have a lot of equity, Im still paying on that one vehicle in my house payment . Yes we both used the cards but most of the 50,000 debt was from large toy purchases he made with my cards, with the promise of paying the payments. His paycheck eventually was totally eaten up by the payments, he got bored with no more toys and left me with all the debt in my name. No I didnt work much when I was with him since he was paying the bills, so I have had 9 year vacation from having to work. I probably wont be reporting them stolen since I am a woman alone in the country and dont want to create any animosity with him since he has lots of guns and is big (guns were put on my cards too).He walks away with no responsibilty for the debt so I was just stupid for trusting him. I did several large balance transfers so I have to try to pay on those cards for a few months at least before I can file.. attorney recommended around 6 months. This is my mess. Thanks for all the input

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">