• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC alcohol sales online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mbmike

Can anyone enlighten me on the subject of online alcohol delivery in North Carolina? From what I've read it is only unlawful for out-of-state manufacturers and wholesalers to directly deliver any kind of alcoholic beverage to a consumer/customer. Is there some sort of gray area for in-state wholesalers? Or, is that unlawful as well?

FlyingRon

It's not gray at all. Wholesalers and retailers from out of state may NOT ship to NC residents at all. PERIOD. END OF STORY.
Certain wine producers may ship wine to NC customers provided they have an NC permit (and pays the taxes).

Anybody who ships you alcohol other than wine from licensed wineries is breaking the NC law. There are people who will do so, but it is not legal.

Mbmike

Yes sir. I understand that. But, what about in-state wholesalers and retailers? I was unable to find anything stating that it was illegal for in-state wholesalers to deliver. Did I miss something? Lol

PayrollHRGuy

It seems that only wine or beer may be shipped from a seller inside the state to a non-wholesaler/retailer within the state.

FlyingRon

Yes sir. I understand that. But, what about in-state wholesalers and retailers? I was unable to find anything stating that it was illegal for in-state wholesalers to deliver. Did I miss something? Lol
In-state entities are governed by the restrictions on their permits. All liquor sales to consumers (with scant exception that doesn't allow shipping either) are limited to the ABC stores and they will not ship or deliver. Certain beer and wine RETAILERS are allowed to ship directly to the customers. Certain wineries/breweries are also allowed to direct ship. WHOLESALERS are never allowed to sell to individuals.

It's all in GS 18B.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">