• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC - removing someone's belongings, etc from my home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bryme23

I live in North Carolina. I was in a relationship that recently ended. He has clothes in my apartment, gets mail here, and he also has a key to the front door. He is not on the lease and does not stay here. I haven't actually seen him in over a month. He doesn't have a home and stays on friends' couches. I'm unsure of the name of the company he works at. I want him and everything of his out of my life. He has a personal criminal history of assault and multiple felony larceny charges, and he has told me that he killed someone as well, so I do have reason to be fearful. However, he has not threatened me or abused me personally. I have given him 30 days to get his belongings out, but I am hoping to find an option to do so sooner. I know that I could bring it up to my landlord but I'm worried about getting kicked out of my apartment for letting someone "live here" that isn't on the lease. Is there anything else I can do?

LdiJ

I live in North Carolina. I was in a relationship that recently ended. He has clothes in my apartment, gets mail here, and he also has a key to the front door. He is not on the lease and does not stay here. I haven't actually seen him in over a month. He doesn't have a home and stays on friends' couches. I'm unsure of the name of the company he works at. I want him and everything of his out of my life. He has a personal criminal history of assault and multiple felony larceny charges, and he has told me that he killed someone as well, so I do have reason to be fearful. However, he has not threatened me or abused me personally. I have given him 30 days to get his belongings out, but I am hoping to find an option to do so sooner. I know that I could bring it up to my landlord but I'm worried about getting kicked out of my apartment for letting someone "live here" that isn't on the lease. Is there anything else I can do?
You can tell the landlord that you gave your ex-boyfriend a key without specifically telling the landlord that he was living there. You can ask the landlord to change the lock and offer to pay the cost of doing so. That at least will keep you safe until you can find a way to get him to take his stuff.

zddoodah

gets mail here
What are you doing with the mail? Marking it "no longer at this address" and putting it with the outgoing mail? Something else?

he also has a key to the front door.
Have you asked your landlord about changing the locks at your expense? If not, why not? If so, what response did you receive?

I have given him 30 days to get his belongings out
By what means did you do this? And how much stuff are we talking about? You mentioned clothing, but is there anything else?

I'm worried about getting kicked out of my apartment for letting someone "live here" that isn't on the lease.
Are you on a long-term lease or a month-to-month lease? If the former, since the condition no longer exists, you aren't subject to eviction until the end of the lease term. And I guess this answers the question about talking with the landlord about changing the locks.

Is there anything else I can do?
Legally, you need to comply with your state's abandoned property laws.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you asked your landlord about changing the locks at your expense? If not, why not? If so, what response did you receive?
Are you on a long-term lease or a month-to-month lease? If the former, since the condition no longer exists, you aren't subject to eviction until the end of the lease term. And I guess this answers the question about talking with the landlord about changing the locks.
Just a point of clarification here (for the OP): The LL is well within his/her rights to expect you to pay the cost of changing the locks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">