• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCP, appears after 13 year abscence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janad98

I am in Maryland.
Sole custody was awarded to me in Georgia in 1993. NCP went on the run from CS after 3 months. Now felony CS evasion. I was on welfare in GA., then moved to KY (home state) to attend college. On welfare there, too. KY began CS case against him. He was just recently thrown in jail, and extradited from GA to KY, where they "threw the book at him". After 13 years of no contact, now he's calling, emailing and threatening to pursue custody or summer visitation. Should I retain a lawyer in MD, GA, KY??? How should I prepare for the impending ugliness? PS, I have a professional career now, do not require his support now.What is the name of your state?

CourtClerk

I am in Maryland.
Sole custody was awarded to me in Georgia in 1993. NCP went on the run from CS after 3 months. Now felony CS evasion. I was on welfare in GA., then moved to KY (home state) to attend college. On welfare there, too. KY began CS case against him. He was just recently thrown in jail, and extradited from GA to KY, where they "threw the book at him". After 13 years of no contact, now he's calling, emailing and threatening to pursue custody or summer visitation. Should I retain a lawyer in MD, GA, KY??? How should I prepare for the impending ugliness? PS, I have a professional career now, do not require his support now.What is the name of your state?

I would hold off in getting an attorney in any state right now just to see if he's blowing smoke. GA has already granted you sole custody (does it make any mention of visitation???) so until he makes a move, you do nothing. Although, it would be in GA where you would need an attorney, since GA gave you custody.

CourtClerk

BTW..how old is the child? (obviously at LEAST 13), but how old?

Also...if it's worth anything. I think he has a snowballs chance in hell of getting custody after 13 years of absence.

janad98

good points!

My son is 13, NCP last saw him when he was 15 mths old. My son has heard some of these dreadful messages left by NCP, it's difficult for him. Thanks for your input.

CourtClerk

My son is 13, NCP last saw him when he was 15 mths old. My son has heard some of these dreadful messages left by NCP, it's difficult for him. Thanks for your input.
What does the last custody order say about the NCP and visitation?

LdiJ

I would hold off in getting an attorney in any state right now just to see if he's blowing smoke. GA has already granted you sole custody (does it make any mention of visitation???) so until he makes a move, you do nothing. Although, it would be in GA where you would need an attorney, since GA gave you custody.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, at least not in the long haul. The child has been a resident of KY for a very long time. It would be relatively easy to get jurisdiction change to KY under "inconvenient forum".

If the custody order doesn't give him any visitation at all, then he would absolutely have to file in KY.

CourtClerk

I would hold off in getting an attorney in any state right now just to see if he's blowing smoke. GA has already granted you sole custody (does it make any mention of visitation???) so until he makes a move, you do nothing. Although, it would be in GA where you would need an attorney, since GA gave you custody.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, at least not in the long haul. The child has been a resident of KY for a very long time look at mom's location...she's in MD.. It would be relatively easy to get jurisdiction change to KY under "inconvenient forum".

If the custody order doesn't give him any visitation at all, then he would absolutely have to file in KY.

I'm going to guess that the child is with mom in MD, so KY wouldn't have anything to do with it. She could have the order domesticated in MD, but if the GA order speaks of visitation (which the OP still hasn't answered), then GA or MD (where the child presumably is a resident) would be the proper forum.

BL

Not necessarily, at least not in the long haul. The child has been a resident of KY for a very long time. It would be relatively easy to get jurisdiction change to KY under "inconvenient forum".

Mom is in MD . If mom with the child has established residency in MD , MD would ultimately have Jurisdiction . In the event the Father filed in GA. ( original State of order ) , mom would have to retain an Attorney licensed in that State , to have the case dismissed on inconvenient forum as neither reside there .

As was said though , don't waste any money on any Attorney yet , as he may not even file .

If he did , visitations ( if allowed ) , would take place gradually . They are strangers .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">