• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need a new lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Melxxtd

New Jersey
I was hit with a tire on my left leg causing bursitis in my ankle and flare ups of swelling and buckling in my knee. I have gone to several doctors that have not helped. My current doctor is sending me for a orthroscopy. To see what is causing the swelling and buckling. My current lawyer has not listened to my no's I said no to arbitration, a settlement conference but yet forces me to go, the merchant has offered 100k but after my medical Bill's, disability, and my current surgery isnt even added to my medical Bill's I will be left with 25k. I'm 24 years old and I feel that my lawyer is not concerned about my future. At our last meeting his boss told me I was stupid to not take the offer of 100k, and told me he was withdrawing from the case but I have yet to be notified that he has done filed. I'm stressing because I keep getting turned away from other lawyers and dont know my options at this point? Do I settle and down the line have to use the 25k for more medical bills? Can I find someone else to assist me? Also he is now asking that I pay 13,000 for my doctor's to show for trial. I have lost all confidence in my lawyer and now stuck at this point.

Last edited:

Melxxtd

Thank you for commenting what do yu feel my options are currently? I have the orthroscopy scheduled for Nov 12th.

quincy

You always have the option of firing your current attorney and hiring another.

The problem I see for you in doing so at this stage is that you will probably wind up paying the costs of two attorneys instead of one.

You will owe your current attorney for the work he has done on your behalf to date and, if you fire him and later wind up settling for the same (or lesser) amount as he was able to negotiate for you earlier, you can still owe him the percentage you agreed to pay in your contract with him. You will also owe your new attorney for the work he did (his percentage).

I suggest you sit down with your current attorney and have him explain to you in detail why exactly he believes you should accept the $100,000 amount offered instead of going to trial. The $100,000 could very well be the most you can realistically hope to recover based on the facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">