• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need a way to pay Attorney Fee's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smithbocaraton

I am working with an attorney in Illinois to help me fight a case against my employer. I have spent weeks interviewing lawyers and fee models where all similar. I selected a lawyer and started with an hourly rate with a demand letter, a few calls another letter and the employer is not wanting to cooperate or talk. We need to take this to court but even on a contingent fee, I need to come up with a significant amount of money that I do not have at this time. My questions are what are other ways to pay for lawyer services in Illinois. For example, can my lawyer place a lien against my property? I have equity on my property but since I do not have a job I cannot get a loan.

I am seeking advice in Illinois on options to offer my lawyer an assurance on their money while we fight this case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am working with an attorney in Illinois to help me fight a case against my employer. I have spent weeks interviewing lawyers and fee models where all similar. I selected a lawyer and started with an hourly rate with a demand letter, a few calls another letter and the employer is not wanting to cooperate or talk. We need to take this to court but even on a contingent fee, I need to come up with a significant amount of money that I do not have at this time. My questions are what are other ways to pay for lawyer services in Illinois. For example, can my lawyer place a lien against my property? I have equity on my property but since I do not have a job I cannot get a loan.

I am seeking advice in Illinois on options to offer my lawyer an assurance on their money while we fight this case.
This is a great question to ask your attorney, since s/he's the one you're negotiating with.

PayrollHRGuy

Being terminated isn't necessarily a cause of action that has much chance of success unless the employer violated the terms of some contract they had with you. But I agree that you should discuss the payment of fees with the attorney.

quincy

To pay an attorney who will not negotiate a payment arrangement to fit your budget, you can borrow money from family or friends, or sell some of your assets.

Or you can try to handle this on your own, which is not an easy task.

Litigator22

Attorney liens only apply to property of the client that is the subject matter "upon which suit was or action has been instituted" ( See: See Illinois Attorney Lien Act 770 ILCS 5/1)

However, as you may well know any creditor that reduces their claim to a judgment can effect a lien upon the judgment debtor's real property.

Last edited:

quincy

PayrollHRGuy

I think that was what Litigator was addressing.

A judgment must be obtained by the attorney to record a lien on the house (i.e., the attorney would have to sue to recover unpaid fees).

Here is a link to the Attorney Lien Act that Litigator referenced:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2242&ChapterID=63

I get that. What I think the OP was asking is if a lawyer will allow him to use his home as collateral and do the suit on credit. Just because he used the word lien doesn't mean he really meant that.

quincy

I get that. What I think the OP was asking is if a lawyer will allow him to use his home as collateral and do the suit on credit. Just because he used the word lien doesn't mean he really meant that.
Oh. I see what you're saying.

I can't see any attorney doing that.

TigerD

If no lawyer will take your case on a contingency basis, that is the first sign.
If your lawyer is requiring pre-payment of all expected expenses, that is the second sign.
It may be that you do not have a good case.

quincy

If no lawyer will take your case on a contingency basis, that is the first sign.
If your lawyer is requiring pre-payment of all expected expenses, that is the second sign.
It may be that you do not have a good case.
I agree with your second point but not (necessarily) with your first. Many attorneys will not work on contingency, period. It really depends on the area of law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">