• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice about my divorce/immigration situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liltessie

I've become a PR through marriage. I married my wife(btw she is American) in September 2012 in Albany, GA. We currently living in Greenville we also have a 6 y.o son.
She has moved out with my son and is working on a divorce. I rented a separate apartment and I have a pretty good job so I should be able to pay the child support,
but in my current situation I'm afraid I don't have a $12000 to afford a divorce lawyer, that's why I'm here, asking for advice. The questions I concerned the most right now are:
1)Is it possible to make a divorce procedure cheaper somehow?
2)What are the laws now concerning my situation? I mean, will I be deported?
If you need more details, I'd be happy to provide them.

adjusterjack

Yes. You just have to educate yourself on the process. Start with your local court websites and look for divorce forms and instructions:

http://www.dougherty.ga.us/content/1800/2887/default.aspx

http://www.meriwetherclerkofcourt.com/civilforms.asp

I don't see much there by way of self-help. Try Fulton Superior Court website:

https://www.fultonclerk.org/255/Divorce

Procedures are pretty much the same but the bigger counties often have better resources.

DeKalb is also good:

https://www.dekalbsuperiorcourt.com/

Also google Georgia Divorce for other DIY resources and Georgia Child Support Calculator so you get some idea where you stand.

Has she filed and served you her divorce petition yet? Does she have a lawyer? Any chance that you can reach agreements without her involving a lawyer? Or is there already hostility?

Once you are served the petition you'll have to decide if you want to give her whatever she's asking for or if you want to fight it.

For the answer to that question I suggest you contact the USCIS customer service and find out what you have to do.

https://www.uscis.gov/

t74

You should have a permanent (not conditional 2 year) green card by now. If you do not have unusual circumstances such as a criminal record, you should be safe from deportation. If your green card is over 5 years old, you can naturalize based on length of residency.

Check your employee benefits to see if you have any legal assistance benefit. Also check with several attorneys to comparison price a simple divorce. The costs increase greatly with custody and property division fights. Check out the standard parenting plans; the custody section of this forum is very helpful.

zddoodah

I'm afraid I don't have a $12000 to afford a divorce lawyer
Why do you think you'll need $12k for a divorce lawyer?

)Is it possible to make a divorce procedure cheaper somehow?
Cheaper than what?

Seriously...what are you drawing a comparison to?

You can, obviously, represent yourself, and that will make things cheaper than if you hire an attorney.

If you're talking about cheaper than the $12k figure you previously mentioned, the answer is yes.

What are the laws now concerning my situation? I mean, will I be deported?
Nothing in your post suggests you'd be likely to be deported, but you can obviously consult with an immigration lawyer about that.

LdiJ

I've become a PR through marriage. I married my wife(btw she is American) in September 2012 in Albany, GA. We currently living in Greenville we also have a 6 y.o son.
She has moved out with my son and is working on a divorce. I rented a separate apartment and I have a pretty good job so I should be able to pay the child support,
but in my current situation I'm afraid I don't have a $12000 to afford a divorce lawyer, that's why I'm here, asking for advice. The questions I concerned the most right now are:
Unless you have done something seriously criminal you are not going to get deported just because you are getting a divorce. In fact, if you have been a permanent resident for more than 5 years, you are eligible to apply for citizenship without being married to a citizen.

Mass_Shyster

When did you get your green card?

aldaron

If you and the wife can agree on stuff try a court approved mediator, usually a lawyer. You'll save 95% of that 12 grand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">