• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice and recommendations fast

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Desperate 66

Hi.

I live in the state of Kentucky. I have been married a little over 9 years and 4 days ago while I was in the shower, my husband left a letter and a folder with divorce papers and sticky notes attached to the pages I needed to sign on a table for me to find, and left the house. I have not bothered to even look it over. Anyway, here's my current situation. I am on SSDI and have been a long time. I have been able to work a little part time job which greatly helps with depression and feeling like I am still an active member of society. Unfortunately payroll hours have been cut drastically and I've fallen way behind on my bills. And now with the impending divorce I may become homeless, without transportation, without food, the ability to get my health problems and dental needs taken care of. Of course my soon to be ex can care less. Also prior to this I recently enrolled in a debt management program. Of course in the beginning phase your credit score plummets. So this will also prevent me from finding a place to live. Obviously I can't just go out and work additional hours to make the money needed so to my disabilities. And if I were able I wouldn't be on disability in the first place. But it was suggested to me that I should consult an attorney. And told I should be able to continue to live the lifestyle that my husband has got me accustomed to living. If this is true, I have no earthly idea who to contact as far as attorneys. Nor do I have money to retain one. I literally have $3 to my name until the 3rd of next month. Cant even buy food to eat. So please share if anyone has advice or what my options are.

Thank you

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Hi.

I live in the state of Kentucky. I have been married a little over 9 years and 4 days ago while I was in the shower, my husband left a letter and a folder with divorce papers and sticky notes attached to the pages I needed to sign on a table for me to find, and left the house. I have not bothered to even look it over. Anyway, here's my current situation. I am on SSDI and have been a long time. I have been able to work a little part time job which greatly helps with depression and feeling like I am still an active member of society. Unfortunately payroll hours have been cut drastically and I've fallen way behind on my bills. And now with the impending divorce I may become homeless, without transportation, without food, the ability to get my health problems and dental needs taken care of. Of course my soon to be ex can care less. Also prior to this I recently enrolled in a debt management program. Of course in the beginning phase your credit score plummets. So this will also prevent me from finding a place to live. Obviously I can't just go out and work additional hours to make the money needed so to my disabilities. And if I were able I wouldn't be on disability in the first place. But it was suggested to me that I should consult an attorney. And told I should be able to continue to live the lifestyle that my husband has got me accustomed to living. If this is true, I have no earthly idea who to contact as far as attorneys. Nor do I have money to retain one. I literally have $3 to my name until the 3rd of next month. Cant even buy food to eat. So please share if anyone has advice or what my options are.

Thank you
As to the bolded, unless the person who told you that is a practicing attorney in your state, I wouldn't pay any attention to what they said.

You can start by searching for family law attorneys in your area online, or use the "find an attorney" link on this website. You can often find attorneys who will work with you on a payment plan. You should also be looking up the social services agencies in your area to find out what aid you may be entitled to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">