• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice ASAP accusations of Bigamy and IRS Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lexiedavid99

What is the name of your state (TEXAS)
I wasn't really certain where to post this question. Sorry if it is in the wrong category.

I filed for divorce in 2014. I received a final decree by the court. My ex and I did it ourselves, but when he learned I was trying to relocate our child, he got a high powered lawyer and said he deserved a 'bill of review' because he didn't have a lawyer when he signed it, initially.

I didn't have enough money to do fight him, so I didn't. I gave it to him. And then we went to mediation. It became a nightmare where I actually HAD to hire a lawyer. That lawyer wasn't great. He eventually told me that the divorce was done and the temporary orders only applied to custody. So, the final decree STOOD EXCEPT for custody.

Well, I got civilly married to my new fiance after this. We just went and got a document at the court because we were living together and HE felt it was best for health insurance. He wanted to get me on HIS plan and not pay higher premiums with Obama care (at the time). HE handled all my money, my business and even our taxes (although we had an accoutant). But he made more than I did and he was extremely controlling and despite my requests, never set quarterly taxes aside for my business. He said that he was the master of deductions for businesses and that I needed to stop questioning him and let him handle it. He said he would leave me otherwise. In fact, he wasn't even allowing me to pay my previous divorce lawyer bill becuase he didn't agree with how he handled it. THAT meant there was no progress in the case and that we were just living off the temporary orders until I could get enough money together to continue. (Which was NOT my new husband's priority)

Well, fastforward a year. He got charged with domestic violence after hurting me and he went to a lawyer to divorce me immediately. The lawyer started digging and found out that the divorce that I had finalized was actually ALL set aside in the 'bill of review'. So I was technically STILL married to my ex.

He tried to threaten me and have his lawyer tell me he would report me for bigamy. I told him I had NO IDEA! And that HE wouldn't let me even finish my custody issues becuase he wouldn't pay the lawyer!

I called my lawyer and he said I could not get in trouble because I did not KNOW that I was technically still married -- and that there was just a breakdown because of all this mess with money and not continuing.

Regardless, my "husband" filed to have the civil married voided. That was granted. He did not notify authorities or try to hurt me further with criminal charges.

HOWEVER -- he went back and amended the tax return from the previous marriage and said we were NOT married. He changed all the allocations of business expenses AND when describing the reason for the amendment? "Married was never valid and voided because "I" was secretly married to two people at one time".

Now, my accountant is extremely worried that this will be somehow reported to authorities because it does not look very good!

Again, the marriage has been voided. That was about 8 months ago. I have my own income again and I have finalized my initial divorce and i'm still paying my lawyer.

But, I can't sleep at night - -wondering what the IRS is going to say? Tax Fraud? Bigamy charges? Obviously I was stupid to trust this man and let him take control.

What thoughts do you have? Would you be worried? I've done everything I can to rectify this situation BUT talk about a big red flag -- when his accountant put THAT reason on the amendment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (TEXAS)
I wasn't really certain where to post this question. Sorry if it is in the wrong category.

I filed for divorce in 2014. I received a final decree by the court. My ex and I did it ourselves, but when he learned I was trying to relocate our child, he got a high powered lawyer and said he deserved a 'bill of review' because he didn't have a lawyer when he signed it, initially.

I didn't have enough money to do fight him, so I didn't. I gave it to him. And then we went to mediation. It became a nightmare where I actually HAD to hire a lawyer. That lawyer wasn't great. He eventually told me that the divorce was done and the temporary orders only applied to custody. So, the final decree STOOD EXCEPT for custody.

Well, I got civilly married to my new fiance after this. We just went and got a document at the court because we were living together and HE felt it was best for health insurance. He wanted to get me on HIS plan and not pay higher premiums with Obama care (at the time). HE handled all my money, my business and even our taxes (although we had an accoutant). But he made more than I did and he was extremely controlling and despite my requests, never set quarterly taxes aside for my business. He said that he was the master of deductions for businesses and that I needed to stop questioning him and let him handle it. He said he would leave me otherwise. In fact, he wasn't even allowing me to pay my previous divorce lawyer bill becuase he didn't agree with how he handled it. THAT meant there was no progress in the case and that we were just living off the temporary orders until I could get enough money together to continue. (Which was NOT my new husband's priority)

Well, fastforward a year. He got charged with domestic violence after hurting me and he went to a lawyer to divorce me immediately. The lawyer started digging and found out that the divorce that I had finalized was actually ALL set aside in the 'bill of review'. So I was technically STILL married to my ex.

He tried to threaten me and have his lawyer tell me he would report me for bigamy. I told him I had NO IDEA! And that HE wouldn't let me even finish my custody issues becuase he wouldn't pay the lawyer!

I called my lawyer and he said I could not get in trouble because I did not KNOW that I was technically still married -- and that there was just a breakdown because of all this mess with money and not continuing.

Regardless, my "husband" filed to have the civil married voided. That was granted. He did not notify authorities or try to hurt me further with criminal charges.

HOWEVER -- he went back and amended the tax return from the previous marriage and said we were NOT married. He changed all the allocations of business expenses AND when describing the reason for the amendment? "Married was never valid and voided because "I" was secretly married to two people at one time".

Now, my accountant is extremely worried that this will be somehow reported to authorities because it does not look very good!

Again, the marriage has been voided. That was about 8 months ago. I have my own income again and I have finalized my initial divorce and i'm still paying my lawyer.

But, I can't sleep at night - -wondering what the IRS is going to say? Tax Fraud? Bigamy charges? Obviously I was stupid to trust this man and let him take control.

What thoughts do you have? Would you be worried? I've done everything I can to rectify this situation BUT talk about a big red flag -- when his accountant put THAT reason on the amendment.
Did you have a question?

ETA: Honestly, until something happens, all you can do is wait and see.

lexiedavid99

But would YOU worry about it? Do you think there's a concern there? Likelihood?

And did my "voided marriage husband" need to do that to me?

We are actually back together and I just learned of this....and wonder WTF

Did you have a question?

ETA: Honestly, until something happens, all you can do is wait and see.

NIV

There is a "concern" as I don't think you had the required reasonable belief as to if your first marriage was dissolved. I doubt that there are many Texas Rangers who are on the case however.

http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-25-01.html

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Please reach out for help from whatever local organization serves victims of domestic violence.

Yes, that is my *legal* advice.

If you don't want to take that advice, then please transfer physical placement of your child to your ex-husband. Your child deserves better role modelling than you are currently capable of providing. Do this before there is another domestic violence incident and it is reported to CPS (or whoever handles that stuff in TX).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">