• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice: concerns with Radon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

preethit

Potentially buying a house (~30 years old) which currently has a radon mitigation system put in 2006. The current level post a recent radon test is 1.5 pci/L in basement. I know EPA recommends anything below pci/l 4, with recent updated saying (2 pci/l) being even better. As the house already has a radon mitigation system I was hoping levels would come in below 1 pci/L. Should I be concerned if we want to use basement in future ? Would appreciate any thoughts on anyone who has dealt with a radon mitigation system.

Just Blue

Potentially buying a house (~30 years old) which currently has a radon mitigation system put in 2006. The current level post a recent radon test is 1.5 pci/L in basement. I know EPA recommends anything below pci/l 4, with recent updated saying (2 pci/l) being even better. As the house already has a radon mitigation system I was hoping levels would come in below 1 pci/L. Should I be concerned if we want to use basement in future ? Would appreciate any thoughts on anyone who has dealt with a radon mitigation system.
What state?

quincy

Any exposure to radon will increase your risk of developing cancer. The greater and lengthier the exposure, the greater the risk.

That said, radon is everywhere. Generally corrective measures are not taken inside a home unless levels are at or above 4 pCi/L.

Under 2 pCi/L is considered an "acceptable" level of radon but there is no "safe" level.

You should make your house buying decision on what makes you comfortable. In certain geographical regions, you might not find any houses without detectable radon.

As Zigner asked, do you have a legal issue that needs addressing? FreeAdvice is a forum that offers legal information and advice.

xylene

In certain geographical regions, you might not find any houses without detectable radon.
I.E. New Jersey.

You can install additional whole house ventilation systems.

Honestly, life is short, radon is no big deal. If you like the house pull the trigger.

If radon is proxy for some other reason you don't like the house... go with your gut and dont.

I didn't buy a house because I had a dream about dying in a fire in the basement (no walk out) ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">