• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice: Contract for wrongful termination case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

71Corvette

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

My girlfriend was terminated from her job earlier this summer for, what we feel, was retaliation after making a formal complaint about sexual harrasment. After meeting with a lawyer on the matter, the attorney has offered to take the case on a continget fee basis.

Yesterday we recieved a copy of a contract in the mail for her to sign which will formalize the agreement. After reviewing the contract my girlfriend and I have several questions which we plan to pose to the attorney before she signs. However, I was hoping some folks here may be able to critique the contract for us and identify areas that should be of specific concern.

If anyone is willing to spend a few minutes reviewing the contract we would greatly appreciate it. A .pdf of the agreement has been uploaded (with all names removed) to the following link: {Deleted}

Also, would it be best to pose the questions in writing to develop a written/documented record, or should they be asked via telephone call? I see advantages to doing both.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

My girlfriend was terminated from her job earlier this summer for, what we feel, was retaliation after making a formal complaint about sexual harrasment. After meeting with a lawyer on the matter, the attorney has offered to take the case on a continget fee basis.

Yesterday we recieved a copy of a contract in the mail for us to sign which will formalize the agreement. After reviewing the contract my girlfriend and I have several questions which we plan to pose to the attorney before signing. However, I was hoping some folks here may be able to critique the contract for us and identify areas that should be of specific concern.

If anyone is willing to spend a few minutes reviewing the contract we would greatly appreciate it. A .pdf of the agreement has been uploaded (with all names removed) to the following link: 4shared.com - document sharing - download Contract.pdf

Also, would it be best to pose the questions in writing to develop a written/documented record, or should we do it via telephone call? I see advantages to doing both.

Thanks in advance!

**A: sorry I don't do links.

las365

I would be suspicous of any attorney-client agreement for wrongful termination that includes the boyfriend of the aggreived party as a client.

71Corvette

I would be suspicous of any attorney-client agreement for wrongful termination that includes the boyfriend of the aggreived party as a client.
Perhaps I should clarify - the wording of my hastily composed initial post is misleading. I (the boyfriend) am not a named party in this case. I'm merely supporting my girlfriend through this process which we both find somewhat confusing (neither of us have ever hired a lawyer before). Her attorney has even went as far to say that I will not be able to be present at any meetings between her and my girlfriend once a client-attorney relationship has been established.

Sorry I had to provide a link, all I have is a pdf of the document and don't know how to embedd a copy in these posts.

Last edited:

las365

Her attorney has even went as far to say that I will not be able to be present at any meetings between her and my girlfriend once a client-attorney relationship has been established.
Right. Because it is your girlfriend's case, not yours. If she wants advice about it, I encourage her to post here herself.

71Corvette

Ok, nevermind then. All my girlfriend wanted were some opinions on the contract language and she asked me to help since she isn't as computer savy as I am.

Since when have people become so cynical of others intentions? :rolleyes:

hateworking

I know I know. All you wanted was some info regarding someone else. Dont take it personally as the senior members strictly stick the rules here, and about 90% of their 1000's of posts are posts simply stating the rules:)
Well I guess you can set up another account here and post as your girlfriend:)

Hot Topic

A lot of people are going to be leary about clicking on a link provided by a stranger. A truly computer saavy person would understand that. And don't criticize people you're asking to do you a favor.

I suspect that your girlfriend has become accustomed - as have you - to you taking care of things for her, e.g., "we" received a copy of the contract for "us" to sign, "we" have several questions to pose to the attorney before signing and "we" would appreciate someone on the board reviewing the contract. Too many we's not to conclude that somehow you think you've also been wronged.

Your girlfriend needs to grow up and learn to handle problems on her own. The idea that she wanted you to post because you're better on the computer doesn't ring true.

71Corvette

Your girlfriend needs to grow up and learn to handle problems on her own. The idea that she wanted you to post because you're better on the computer doesn't ring true.
When you know my girlfriend then you can post judgments on her shortcomings. Until then, shame on you for doing so.

To anyone who was offended by my posts, I apologize if I seemed unappreciative. You can understand my frustration when I come here looking for help and all I receive is criticism and flak for trying to help my girlfriend (after being asked to help) through a difficult time. I suppose some would prefer I turn my back on her and simply say "figure it out yourself". However, one of the reasons our relationship works so well, and has lasted so long, is because we are there to support one another - good times or bad.

For what it’s worth, my girlfriend and I (yes, we), spent quite a bit of time doing research online last night. And together we decided the contract was fair pending a few minor modifications. So, if it makes me a horrible man for offering my girlfriend advice when she asks for it, then so be it. After being together so long the one thing I refuse to apologize for is being there to support her.

To all who sincerely tried to be helpful, thank you.

january_32

Retail Theft

My husband was 17 yrs. old when he was arrested together with his friends for the amount of $5.00 stuff in a store. The Police Dept. did investigate and wrote down a retail theft charged against him and his friends and took his fingerprints during that time. There was no court hearing or anything at all but he was asked to pay around $40.00 as fine. He is 40 years old now and just finished his degree. A certain public school in AZ wants to hire him for a teaching job. Now he is in the process of his application for fingerprints card clearance in AZ Department Public Safety. We are worried so much maybe he will be denied for his teaching application job in that public school once they will find out his 22 yrs old criminal history record. Or would he be denied for a fingerprint card clearance application due to his criminal history and would not have a chance for any teaching job? We are hoping for anyone to help and explain things clearly. Thanks alot!

Godbless!
january_32

Last edited:

outonbail

My husband was 17 yrs. old when he was arrested together with his friends for the amount of $5.00 stuff in a store. The Police Dept. did investigate and wrote down a retail theft charged against him and his friends and took his fingerprints during that time. There was no court hearing or anything at all but he was asked to pay around $40.00 as fine. He is 40 years old now and just finished his degree. A certain public school in AZ wants to hire him for a teaching job. Now he is in the process of his application for fingerprints card clearance in AZ Department Public Safety. We are worried so much maybe he will be denied for his teaching application job in that public school once they will find out his 22 yrs old criminal history record. Or would he be denied for a fingerprint card clearance application due to his criminal history and would not have a chance for any teaching job? We are hoping for anyone to help and explain things clearly. Thanks alot!

Godbless!
january_32
Please start a new thread. Members aren't likely going to discover your post when it is started in another thread and it is what is known as hijacking someone else's thread to ask your own questions. Which is simply poor forum etiquette.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">