• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice for minor to get emancipated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
I live in Indiana. I need advice on how to get emancipated. I live with my grandma who has custody of me. But she treats me really bad and always yells at me, she sells drugs she is the worst parent she cusses at me all the time for no reason and she does EVERYTHING u would not expect a grandma to do. parents are out of the picture, And I could make it on my own, i make enough money to have an apartment and i have my own car in my name and all that but she wont let me move out till I'm 18. and i just turned 17. someone said i coudl get "emancipated" which means i could sign papers and prove to the court that i can make it on my own and pay bills for a certain amount of time and then i could be on my own and all that and sign contracts. but i dont know how to start the process. I NEED HELP PLEASE


Senior Member
headstrong6063 said:
but i dont know how to start the process. I NEED HELP PLEASE
Emancipation in Indiana is covered by the following statutes.
Title 31, Article 34, Chapter 20, Section 6
Title 31, Article 37, Chapter 19, Section 27

Do some homework.


Senior Member
and think about something else.....you could serious save your money over the next year and have a nice safety net when you move out at 18.


Queen Bee
You could also report grandma to the proper authorities for selling drugs and that would remove you from the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential