• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice: Location of attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ProudDadof2

What is the name of your state? AR

First of all thank you in advance for reading. I will refrain from giving details of the potential case, in order be as succinct as possible. My family and I are moving soon, and may have civil (and even misdemeanor) charges filed against me after we move for a minor crime committed last summer here in AR. It was an honest mistake due to misunderstanding, but again will spare the details at this time because it is highly complicated. My questions are:

1--Will I be required to choose a defense attorney (either civil or criminal case) in the state where the crime was allegedly committed? Or can I choose a local attorney in my destination state (town) to do either or both?

2-- Assuming all other costs are equal, will a lawyer in our destination state be more expensive than a lawyer in the originating state due to excessive travel costs? It is a 6-7 hour drive away, FYI.

I am asking because I believe I have been getting the "lame duck" treatment from both my local attorney (although nearly $600 spent thus far) and hired mediator while attempting to settle this over the last several weeks.

Thank you again for reading, please feel free to reach out by Private Message with any info as well as on the forum.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state? AR

First of all thank you in advance for reading. I will refrain from giving details of the potential case, in order be as succinct as possible. My family and I are moving soon, and may have civil (and even misdemeanor) charges filed against me after we move for a minor crime committed last summer here in AR. It was an honest mistake due to misunderstanding, but again will spare the details at this time because it is highly complicated. My questions are:

1--Will I be required to choose a defense attorney (either civil or criminal case) in the state where the crime was allegedly committed? Or can I choose a local attorney in my destination state (town) to do either or both?

2-- Assuming all other costs are equal, will a lawyer in our destination state be more expensive than a lawyer in the originating state due to excessive travel costs? It is a 6-7 hour drive away, FYI.

I am asking because I have undoubtedly been getting the "lame duck" treatment from both my local attorney (although nearly $600 spent thus far) and hired mediator while attempting to settle this over the last several weeks. And honestly, if I had to choose at random, I really do not trust the competence of the folks around my current location anyway. I know that sounds I am generalizing, however I simply live in a bad part of AR.

Thank you again for reading, please feel free to reach out by Private Message with any info as well as on the forum.
You will want an attorney licensed to practice law in the state where you expect to be charged or sued.

PayrollHRGuy

Keep in mind that you may find a attorney local to your new location who also licensed to practice law in Arkansas yes, that travel time will not be cheap.

quincy

Keep in mind that you may find a attorney local to your new location who also licensed to practice law in Arkansas yes, that travel time will not be cheap.
Although it is not unusual for an attorney to be licensed to practice in more than one state, an attorney who practices in the area where the charges or lawsuit are filed is probably a better choice. Cost is just one reason why this is so. Familiarity with the courts and judges are others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">