• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice.. Long sorry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drell

What is the name of your state? NC

Sorry this is going to be rather long..

My sister has/had5 kids. 3 of which have been taken from her and her rights stripped. The father has 2 and we have the other. My sister has 2 with her. She has decided that she wants to give hubby and I temp Custody.. as she needs time to get herself togeather.. (yeah right!) Truth is she just does not want to be bothered. The 2 kids she has with her each have diffrent fathers. The father of the boy wants him and has been trying everything to get him. He pays support and she keeps moving so he can not find her. SHe has sole custody of him. SHe is living in CO and the father is living in IL. If we go to get these kids and have the agreement drawn up.. it will state that it will be valid for only a year and that my sister can terminate it any time she wishes... what will happen if the father comes to get the boy? There are no court orders that say he can not have him. What could happen to my family? I mean I have to look out for my daughter. She does not know any of these people and there are things she is really too younge to know about.

Hubby and I both feel the father is the best place for the boy to be... as he was lied too for so long and never given the chance to raise his son. HE did not even know he had a son until the baby was over a year old.
I have to call sister tomorrow any advice I need before I talk to her. Or rather any questions I should ask just to cover my butt.
I hate the thought of opening this door again but I also hate the thought of those poor kids having to live with a druggie as well. thanks for your time and advice.
drell

VeronicaGia

drell said:
What is the name of your state? NC

Sorry this is going to be rather long..

My sister has/had5 kids. 3 of which have been taken from her and her rights stripped. The father has 2 and we have the other. My sister has 2 with her. She has decided that she wants to give hubby and I temp Custody.. as she needs time to get herself togeather.. (yeah right!) Truth is she just does not want to be bothered. The 2 kids she has with her each have diffrent fathers.

**Does she have legal, court ordered custody of these two boys?

The father of the boy wants him and has been trying everything to get him. He pays support and she keeps moving so he can not find her. SHe has sole custody of him. SHe is living in CO and the father is living in IL. If we go to get these kids and have the agreement drawn up.. it will state that it will be valid for only a year and that my sister can terminate it any time she wishes...

**If she has legal, court ordered custody, nothing can change that but a new court order, so your paper would be worthless. However, if your goal is to get the kids, notify the father and help him gain custody, go for it. If your goal is to keep the kids, then don't do it!

what will happen if the father comes to get the boy?

**Does he have visitation via a court order? If so, he has the right to exercise it. If not, why not help him gain it?

There are no court orders that say he can not have him.

**Technically then, there are likely no court orders that say he can have them. Has paternity been established legally?

What could happen to my family? I mean I have to look out for my daughter. She does not know any of these people and there are things she is really too younge to know about.

Hubby and I both feel the father is the best place for the boy to be... as he was lied too for so long and never given the chance to raise his son. HE did not even know he had a son until the baby was over a year old.

**Then take the kids, call the dad, have him get to know them. Then, help him get custody. If she's lost three kids already, she obviously is not the mother of the year.

I have to call sister tomorrow any advice I need before I talk to her. Or rather any questions I should ask just to cover my butt.
I hate the thought of opening this door again but I also hate the thought of those poor kids having to live with a druggie as well. thanks for your time and advice.
drell
**Then give dad (and child) their rights by helping them out!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">